Stepping Out in Scarborough

Starting at the railway station this walk shows some of the points of interest.

Stepping Out in Scarborough

England YO11, United Kingdom

Created By: Scarborough Civic Society

Tour Information

The tour provides a guide to historical locations within Scarborough's Town, North Bay and South Cliff. Published by Scarborough Civic Society.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

Built in 1845, designed by architect George Townsend Andrews, a Grade II listed building extended and altered in 1882.
The Old Victoria Hotel, West Sq, Westborough – The birthplace of two brothers, Charles & Tom Laughton. Charles (b1899) achieved fame as an actor.
Stephen Joseph Theatre, Westborough – the black tiling is an Odeon design feature. Now the focus of Sir Alan Ayckbourn, the building is listed.
Pavilion House, Westborough - This 1970s “brutalist style” building replaced the Pavilion Hotel demolished in 1973.
The Lord Rosebery, Westborough. Built in 1894 as The Liberal Club and named after the then Prime Minister. Designed by architects Hall & Tugwell who also designed the National Westminster Bank on Huntriss Row/Westborough corner.
Brunswick Shopping Centre, incorporating many shops and public toilets.
Public Library - Vernon Rd, (Blue Plaque to Stephen Joseph) - Built in 1840 and opened as the Oddfellows Hall. Site of Stephen Joseph’s first productions.
The Crescent, (all properties listed) - Here is the Art Gallery and Wood End now Creative Workspace(former Sitwell Home) built 1835.
The Bridge (over Vernon Rd) - Listed. Connecting the public gardens with the area of “The Mount” and “Grand Hotel” Rather a hidden feature but should be encountered.
10
Rotunda (listed building) Museum Terrace. This building is the embodiment of the pioneering work of William (Strata) Smith. The upper portion features his circular map reproducing the local coastal geology.
The Spa Bridge (listed building) the elegant bridge of local stone with ironwork from Low Moor, Bradford. Tolls remained in force for nearly 125 years, being finally abolished in 1951.
The Scarborough Spa Cliff Lift -This was the first passenger cliff tramway in Europe (possibly the world) and it set an example to be followed by a large number of holiday resorts.
13
The Spa Listed Grade II* It was the first coastal Spa to gain national recognition, long before the Prince Regent put Brighton on the map. Paxton’s Grand Hall was destroyed by fire in 1876. It was replaced in 1879 by the Grand Hall of Ver... Read more
Grand Hotel (listed building) St Nicholas Cliff - designed by Cuthbert Brodrick who also was the architect of Leeds Town Hall. Opened in 1867 the four domes represent the four seasons and has twelve floors and 365 bedrooms.
The Central Tramway Dated 1881 provides the Cliff Lift service to the Foreshore.
The Royal Hotel - (listed building). Former “Long Room” used for entertainment & soirees. Restored by Tom Laughton in post-war years.
Queen Victoria’s Statue The Grade II listed structure is one of only seven original bronze statues of Queen Victoria by English sculptor, Charles Bell Birch. Restored by the Civic Society in 2018, in our Queens’s 90th year.
Town Hall (listed building). St. Nicholas Street. Former home of the banker John Woodall. Became a Civic Building in 1900.
Bar Street - Displays a Blue Plaque to William (Strata) Smith, the Geologist, whose name is forever linked to the Rotunda.
Huntriss Row - The façade of the Constitutional Club was retained when the building was converted to a hotel. The Pizza Hut was the Assembly Room and visited in 1858 by Charles Dickens who gave a reading there. (see plaque in middle doorwa... Read more
Boyes Store - Designed, built and opened within eighteen months this flagship building is established as the focus of a regional group founded in 1881.
Market Hall (1853) St. Helens Square. Worth an interior and exterior examination. The vaults formerly used as Customs House.
The Smugglers statue, by artist Ray Lonsdale and commissioned by Maureen Robinson.
Scarborough Maritime Heritage Centre, Eastborough - archives and artifacts relevant to the town’s maritime heritage.
The Harbour, Piers and Lighthouse Scarborough’s harbour is protected by the vast bulk of the Castle headland. The massive stones used in its construction, weighing up to 30 tons apiece, were quarried locally and positioned manually. ...
The Diving Belle, Vincent’s Pier - Artist Craig Knowles. Designed as a pair with the Bathing Belle in North Bay (2007) . Presented to the town by Scarborough & District Civic Society.
The Blue Fin Tunny Fish The Blue Fin was a popular sports fish in the 1920s and 1930s when many swam off the Yorkshire Coast. Commissioned by Mrs Robinson.
Scarborough Castle (Listed grade I) Scarborough’s 12th century Norman castle has a peaceful role today as a major tourist attraction.
St. Mary’s Church, (Listed grade I) Castle Rd. (Visit Anne Bronte’s grave, died 1849). Building began in 1180.
‘Freddie Gilroy and the Belsen Stragglers’ is a giant steel structure made by Ray Lonsdale an artist fabricator and sculptor and is now on permanent display thanks to the generosity of Mrs Robinson.
The Bathing Belle (2008), Designed as a pair with the Diving Belle on Vincent’s Pier (Presented to the town by Scarborough & District Civic Society)
Peasholm Park One of the major open air attractions on the North Bay.

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.