Alpharetta Historic Walk


Alpharetta Historic Walk

Alpharetta, Georgia 30009, United States

Created By: Alpharetta Historical Society

Tour Information

Explore the early days of Alpharetta on this self-guided tour with stops at twenty-two historic markers located within walking distance of one another. Uncover the story of Alpharetta’s past at your own pace: learn what industry drove the city’s economy and what buildings served uniquely different purposes than their modern-day functions. And there’s no better time to bring up a discussion of your own family’s history. Gather the grandparents, bring along the youngsters and take a walk down memory lane. While you are here, take time to discover our dynamic city. With access to 300 things to do, five distinct shopping districts and over 175 dining options, there is plenty to fill your days. Choose one of 23 modern and affordable hotels listed on the back of the brochure. Take advantage of specially designed hotel packages or special rates found on our website.

A Brief HISTORY OF ALPHARETTA, GA OLD MILTON COUNTY As far back as 1835, New Prospect Campground was an overnight stop for travelers and traders. Prior to the formation of Milton County in 1858, the U.S. Coastal Survey Map also indicates an early settled community called Farm House near the Preston Ridge peak. On March 23, 1858, Milton County was created and the Milton County Courthouse was erected at the site directly in front of present day Alpharetta City Hall. At the turn of the century, Alpharetta continued to be an overnight stop for travelers from Atlanta to Dahlonega. The downtown area had four hotels, several cotton gins and mercantile stores and was bustling with activity. Alpharettans have served their country in every major foreign war from the Spanish-American through the war in Iraq. The town’s economy was cotton farm based until WWII when the federal government encouraged local farmers to raise food crops, chickens and livestock. In 1981, Alpharetta was a small town of 3,000. By 2015, the population increased to more than 62,000 residents. While striving to honor its rural roots, the city is home to some of the leading U.S. corporations. Its public schools are among the highest scoring in the nation.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Old Milton Courthouse | 1895

This was the Courthouse of Milton County at the time it merged with Fulton County (1932). Created in 1857, the county was named for General Homer V. Milton (War of 1812), though some claim it was named for John Milton, first Secretary of St... Read more
J.J. Webb and Sons | 1910

The two-story brick building housed Shirley Brothers store, Milton County Bank, Buren Weatherford Grocery and Bates Grocery. C.P. Brady and Sons purchased it in 1934 and operated a Chevrolet dealership, gasoline station and garage.
First Baptist Church of Alpharetta | c. 1905

In 1903, a group of women who met weekly for prayer and Bible study began collecting offerings. From these collections, the women purchased a sixty by one hundred foot lot and began construction of the First Baptist Church. The project was ... Read more
Alpharetta First United Methodist Church | 1834

Methodist circuit riders held camp meetings here in the early 1830s and a meeting house existed as early as 1834. In 1871, Isham Teasley donated land where the brick chapel now stands. A white frame church was there until 1931.
Norman House | 1910

The six-room Queen Anne-style cottage has heart pine floors and fireplaces with original mantels and tiles. Cotton broker Clifford Pierce Norman, wife Nancy Lee Shell Norman and their three daughters lived there.
Lewis-Manning House | 1895

Colonel Tom Lewis built the five bedroom Queen Anne-style house. Siblings Tom H., James H. and Annie Manning lived there 1905-1953. Alpharetta Mayor Sim Manning and his wife, Sarah, moved there in 1948.
B.F. Shirley House | c. 1910

This Queen Anne-style style home built by B.F. Shirley in 1910 used a Sears, Roebuck & Co. house pattern. Features include a nine-room interior, veranda, and exterior stairs leading to the second floor. Renovations have been made, but t... Read more
New Prospect Campground | c. 1835

Several springs and proximity to westward routes made the campground a suitable overnight stop for travelers and a place for settlers to camp until land could be obtained for homes. The site became known as New Prospect. Later, a log buildi... Read more
Manning Mercantile | c. 1910

James H. and Thomas H. Manning operated the store in a wooden building that burned in 1902. It was replaced by a one-story brick building that later housed the U.S. Post Office, Bates Grocery, Cowart Shoe Shop, Cook Shoe Shop and the Alphar... Read more
R.J. Webb Building | c. 1907

R.J. Webb built the two-story brick Webb Hotel, later known as the Alpharetta Hotel. Residents included Milton County court attendees and school teachers. Businesses included Norman and Trammell General Merchants, U.S. Post Office, Alpharet... Read more
Webb Guano House | c. 1901

R.J. and J.J. Webb built the structure on property purchased from James Madison Dodd. The Teasleys bought the property in 1911 and built the Teasley’s Warehouse portion. Later occupants were Q. A. Wills’ cotton warehouse and chenille fa... Read more
Future Farmers of America Log Cabin | 1935

Members of Milton High School’s Future Farmers of America built this rustic cabin of hand-hewn logs. Teacher P. L. Elkins provided seed money and project oversight. Alpharetta merchants and farmers furnished other supplies. The one-room, ... Read more
Resthaven Cemetery | 1860

In December 1860, the Milton County Inferior Court gave two acres to the citizens of the county to be used as a graveyard. In May 1903, Milton County conveyed the Alpharetta Cemetery Lot, now four acres, to Members of the Town Council and t... Read more
Dodd Hotel | c. 1870

Dodd Hotel was owned by James Madison Dodd, 1828-1895. A businessman and Milton County constable, he operated a livery stable and barn on the north side of the street. The two-story hotel boarded cotton traders, drummers, court attendees an... Read more
Oliver-Waters-McCollum Warehouses | c. 1910

Originally the three buildings faced the National Highway, now Old Roswell Road. A brick facade was added in the 1970s. In 1909, John A. Oliver constructed the two-story Oliver warehouse. Prior to 1914, D.P. Waters constructed the Waters wa... Read more
Skelton-Teasley House | 1856

The Greek Revival-style home was built for the family of Dr. Oliver P. Skelton, physician, postmaster and Ordinary of Milton County. His son-in-law John I. Teasley, a cotton planter, subsequently occupied it. The house sits on one of the hi... Read more
Waters House | 1890s

This Colonial Revival structure has served as the home of numerous early city and county officials, physicians, and business owners since the 1890s. Residents include the McLesky, Foster, Oliver, Jones, Robertson, Waters and Garmon families... Read more
Alpharetta Business District

Alpharetta was formed in 1858 and a thriving business district soon developed. Many businesses had two entrances – one facing the Milton County Courthouse on Norcross Street, (now South Main Street) and the other facing National Highway, ... Read more
Alpharetta Business District

Buildings south of Jones Alley housed the A.G. Carroll store, Shirley Brothers Mercantile and Milton County Bank (c. 1910), Jones Merchandise (c. 1914), Teasley Ford Motor dealership, Q.A. Wills Merchandise, Louie E. Jones Funeral Home (c. ... Read more
Alpharetta Business District

J.A. Oliver’s general store at 1 South Main Street operated until 1920, followed by the grocery stores of Jones, Lively and Talmage Burgess. In the mid 1950s, Phillips Variety Store opened. At 3 South Main Street were the Teasley, Johnson... Read more
Mansell House | 1910

The six-room Queen Anne-style clapboard farmhouse was built by Robert Mansell for his wife, Maude Dorris. The Mansells were primarily cotton farmers. Originally situated on the family farm, the house was donated by the Herman Miller Company... Read more
Upshaw House | 1925

This Craftsman style cottage was built for Teasley and Ruth Summerour Upshaw in 1925. The simple two bedroom, one bath home features 10 foot ceilings, heart pine floors with a large living room, dining room and kitchen. The interior has see... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to