Created By: Jones House
The Town of Boone started with a grant from King George III to Jordan Councill. It developed as a small mountain community around a store that later generations built. The community grew as a place to sell cattle and it was called Councill’s Store.
After the forming of the United States it became part of Wilkes County, then part of Ashe County in 1799. Postal service began in 1809 and a post office was built in 1823. In 1849 the legislature created Watauga County and the community was renamed Boone in 1850, after Daniel Boone. At that time, the streets were laid out. The two East and West streets were King and Queen and the North-South streets were Burnsville and Water Streets. Burnsville Road was changed to Depot Street when the Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina (Tweetsie) train depot was built in 1918. Boone was incorporated as a town in 1872.