Deanshanger Past and Present, a village walk

Walk and learn about the village of Deanshanger

Deanshanger Past and Present, a village walk

Deanshanger, England MK19 6HT, United Kingdom

Created By: Graham

Tour Information

A short walk around the village of Deanshanger in Northamptonshire.

The walk starts in the Church Car Park and loops around most of the ancient core of the village stopping at a range of historic buildings.

Starting point using What3Words the car park is spared.maps.gladiator

Deanshanger has seen many changes over the years.....

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Lord Penrhyn of Wicken Park built the Church in 1853 at a cost of £2,300 to meet the needs of the increased population that accompanied the Victorian growth of the village. The architect was Benjamin Ferry and it was consecrated in 1854 as... Read more
The memorial was built in 1921 to commemorate the 15 men of Passenham and Deanshanger who fell in the First World War. It was unveiled by the Rt Hon Lord Penrhyn on 20 March 1921 and it  cost £110. Following the Second World War, additio... Read more
n 1715, the churchwardens and overseers took a lease for six years at 30s a year from William Clarke of a newly erected workhouse, Deanshanger, built on the site of a former brick kiln. The overseers then completed the fitting up of the bui... Read more
Commemorated the famous battle victory.( June 18, 1815).
1826 deeds refer to one house?  In 1877 they consisted of a messuage and six cottages adjoining, three of which had 'previously been occupied by William Bird as a public house'. It was probably these three which were converted and renamed ... Read more
In the late 19thc this was a butchers shop run by Thomas and Jane Canvin  (ref M Powell index of place names info from personal comment from Bill and Pam Foddy (Personal note – it is my understanding that this building has much older ori... Read more
The building now comprises of two attached dwellings on the N side of the High Street_ almost opposite Home Farm and with Boswell Lane at the E side on the line of the Boswell Brook. This building was inspected as being of stone. and on the... Read more
The west end of Home Farm is the oldest part of the farm and is late17th century.  A Charles 11 farthing dating 1675, was found under a window board. The carved fire place and stone mullions of this part of the house indicate that that it ... Read more
Union Chapel The historian Baker writing of Deanshanger in 1836 states: The Wesleyan Methodists have a small chapel here', but as there is neither local tradition nor documentary evidence for a Wesleyan chapel here at any time, we assume Ba... Read more
This used to be a farm house and records exist from 1673.  Was the farm of Paul Dayrell in 1772.  Lived in by Thomas Richards (or Richardson) in 1797.
Bought by Charles Wells Ltd. 1926, but no older deeds. Licence first granted 1836 to William Foddy (Return of Public Houses, Northamptonshire, 1871).
The building appears to be 17th century in origin, probably late in the century and was re-fronted and remodelled internally in the 18th century. Further analysis was not possible due to no access permitted to the major front building.  Th... Read more
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to