Sailing Through Freeport's History

Learn more about the locations depicted in Ji Yong Kim's mural at the Merrick entrance of the Freeport Memorial Library

Sailing Through Freeport's History

Freeport, New York 11520, United States

Created By: Freeport Memorial Library

Tour Information

In 2019, the Freeport Memorial Library unveiled a mural located on the wall near the Merrick Road entrance of the library. The mural, entitled, Sailing Through Freeport's History, depicts historical locations thoughout the Village of Freeport. This walking tour takes you to some of those locations.

Sailing Through Freeport's History was created by artist Ji Yong Kim. The mural was made possible by contributions from the following supporters:

AARP Community Challenge Grant

Arts Council at Freeport

Mount Sinai South Nassau

Individual Donors.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Dedicated in 2019, this library mural was created by Ji Yong Kim. Ji Yong Kim is an artist living and working in Brooklyn, NY, U.S.A.  Born in South Korea, he received his B.F.A. from Rhode Island School of Design, and M.F.A. from Montclai... Read more
The Freeport Memorial Library’s history goes back to 1884, when Professor Loren M. Burdick, principal of the Freeport Schools, established a library with funds raised by amateur entertainments. For a while, the books were kept in the clot... Read more
A Post Office was established in Freeport around 1858, five years after "Freeport" became the community's official name.  Before 1858, Freeporters had to pick up their mail in Merrick at a stagecoach stop and general store near Babyl... Read more
Freeport  Elks Club (known formally as the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (BPOE) Lodge 1253) was established on August 26, 1911.  It was reported that Freeport's Lodge was the first Elks Lodge to be instituted on Long Island. Th... Read more
Temperance Fountain was placed at the northeast corner of Fulton Street (now Merrick Road) and South Main Street circa 1900.  The bronzed iron fountain was five feet four inches high and 22 inches in diameter.  It included a self closing ... Read more
Moser Building is located on the west side of South Main Street, just south of Merrick Road.  This building was constructed around 1935.
Dr. and Mrs. Evans’ House was located at 350 South Main.  The house was built around 1863 and was owned by Raynor R. Smith in 1873.  Between 1900 and 1961, the house was occupied by Edith Gertrude Selene Evans (1878-1948) and her husban... Read more
Freeport Mills was a wholesale and retail dealer of flour, feed, grain, oil meal, baled hay and straw managed by Isaac Horsfall. The original mills were located on what is now Mill Road.  In 1894, the location of Freeport Mills was given ... Read more
Freeport Municipal Stadium, also known as the Freeport Stadium, opened in 1931.  The stadium was constructed of reinforced concrete and originally had a capacity of 2,027.  Later, midget auto races attracted crowds as large as 10,000... Read more
Crystal Lake Hotel and Cottage (also referred to as the Crystal Lake House) opened in 1895 and was managed by the Frost family for nearly 51 years.  A larger hotel was constructed on the property adjacent to the Crystal Lake Cottage ... Read more
Playland Park opened in 1924 on South Grove Street (now Guy Lombardo Avenue) and Front Street.  It was dubbed “the Coney Island of Long Island.”  Actor and competitive swimmer Johnny Weissmuller swam in the pool at Playland Park in th... Read more
Guy Lombardo’s East Point House was located at the foot of South Grove Street (now Guy Lombardo Avenue). Guy Lombardo (1902-1977) purchased Liota's East Point House from John Liota in 1948 and renamed it.  Lombardo was a bandleader f... Read more
Long Island Good Hearted Thespian Society (LIGHTS) Clubhouse opened in 1916, located on Fairview Avenue and Branch Avenue.  The building was 110 feet by 54 feet and featured porches that were 14 feet wide.  The lighthouse rose to a height... Read more
Bayview Hose House was built as the headquarters of Bayview Hose Company No. 3 (also known as Bay View Hose Company No. 3), which was organized in 1895.  Their first fire house was constructed on Atlantic Avenue in 1899.    In 2016, the ... Read more
Village Hall is located at 46 North Ocean Avenue. Its official name is the Municipal Building. Construction began in 1928 and the building was dedicated on March 13, 1929. The Municipal Building sits on land purchased in 1927 for $38,500.... Read more
Robert Hendre Kelby (1847-1927) served as librarian to the New-York Historical Society from 1899 to 1920.  Upon his retirement, he was granted the title Librarian Emeritus.  After serving in the Navy during the Civil War, Kelby began w... Read more
Methodist Church (also known as the Freeport Methodist Episcopal Church and the Freeport United Methodist Church) in Freeport was established in 1833 when William B. Raynor helped the Methodists purchase a small wooden store on the wes... Read more
The First National Bank (commonly referred to as the Meadow Brook Bank) originally opened in 1911. Despite its name, it was the second bank in Freeport, formed after the Freeport Bank in 1892. In 1929, a six-story building was constructed ... Read more
Miracle House (also referred to as the Spite House) is located at 146 West Lena Avenue.  A real estate dispute developed between John J. Randall and the Warranty Realty Company over the placement of the roads.  In 1902, Lena Avenue sto... Read more
Brooklyn Water Works, located on the west side of North Brookside Avenue, was a three-story brick Romanesque Revival building which was designed in 1888 by Frank Freeman. Freeman (1852-1940), a noted Brooklyn architect, also designed the ... Read more
Glickman Studio was located at 37 West Merrick Road.  It was owned by Samuel Glickman.  The photography studio was opened in 1918 and was originally located at 13 Railroad Avenue.  Later, Glickman Studio moved to 31 South Grove Street ... Read more
Celebrity Club, located at 77 East Sunrise Highway, was known as the Cotton Inn in the 1930s.  Gaetano "Guy" Miceli was the proprietor of the Cotton Inn in 1938.   In 1948, Paul Robeson, a prominent civil rights activist, singer, and ... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to