Henryville Indiana Walking Tour

Memories of early Henryville

Henryville Indiana Walking Tour

Henryville, Indiana 47126, United States

Created By: Charlestown Clark County Public Library's Henryville Walking Tour

Tour Information

This is our special tour through the town of Henryville, Indiana.

As described in an excerpt taken from Baird's History of Clark County:

The village of Henryville is situated in the center of Monroe Township. Many years before the place was laid out there was an old Indian trail running through the village, much as the Pennsylvania railroad now runs. It is located on Wolf run and Miller's fork of Silver Creek, the former a tributary stream of Silver Creek, which derived its name from the great rendezvous it furnished wolves forty years before Henryville was platted. The village lies in a beautiful valley, with hills on the east side, and in sight of the famous mounds. A little further east, on a high hill, is where the red man of the forest manufactured his darts, implements of war, and hunting utensils. Formerly the village was known by the name of Morristown, which name it retained for three years. It was laid out in 1850, and in 1853 was named Henryville, in honor of Col. Henry Ferguson."


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

This is your first stop.  Main Street was a busy place during the early 1900s.  We hope that our photos will be able to show you the many different businesses and homes that had helped to create the history of these few blocks of downto... Read more
This building no longer exists but it would have been a very important part of an up and coming town so close to the railroad. Wood was needed for the bustling construction on both sides of the railroad tracks.  The tracks follow a one... Read more
The store no longer exists.  It was a popular and necessary part of early Henryville as you will see in the following photographs: 1.  Photograph of Charles E. Clegg's horse drawn hearse with rider and two horses. c.1900, as with any sma... Read more
The building no longer exists, These photographs show a busy Main Street at the turn of the century. Photo 1. Again shows the street view of the stores on Main Street, c. 1900. Photo 2. Is a closer look of the Post Office back in the day.... Read more
Unfortunately, this building does not exist either however a small town grocer would have been a very necessary place.   Photo 1. Is a street view of Main Street, c. 1900 Photo 2.  Is a closer look of the store 
Thankfully, this building is there but it is now private property. Photograph of Henryville State Bank circa 1910 located at the northwest corner of Main Street and Railroad Street (created after one set of tracks removed) .  The bank face... Read more
The green building across the street from the bank building was at one time the Murphy's Henryville Supply Store built around 1890 and later it became a feed mill and grain elevator.  It is now being renovated into business offices.  In ... Read more
This place has earned a spot on our tour specifically for its shape.  Today, you do not see many homes built as this one was.  Removing the wooden additions on the back that came later, the structure is more of a "plus sign" shape to the... Read more
The first photo was taken after the 1948 tornado.  The top floor had been used as the Henryville Masonic Lodge.  After the storm, the building had been renovated into a single story for the store's use only.  It has been told that onl... Read more
This beautiful two-story home no longer exists. However, the Wallace Williams house was an excellent example of a “Folk Victorian”.  It is unknown if this was a home was ordered through a design company, however these types of structu... Read more
During the 2012 tornado, this building was damaged and later torn down.  The drawing you see is by Ralph Heath.  The home was originally constructed for Dr. Henry H. Ferguson, the son of Col. Henry Ferguson the founder of our town. Dr. Fe... Read more
Although this structure is no longer standing, The Knights of Honor still exists.  According to their website:  The organization was founded on June 30, 1873 as a mutual beneficiary association, fraternal order and secret society.  The... Read more
Unfortunately, this structure no longer exists.  However, given its proximity to the depot, it had an important status with the community.  There are several photos of letters, ledgers and other things left behind by Mr. Guernsey that can... Read more
This 19th century functional building, c1890, was a grocery store, and a mercantile, while the family lived upstairs.  Mr. Bollinger also had a feed store on the north side of this structure.  It has now been divided into apartments.  ... Read more
Folk Victorian style; this is one of the oldest homes still standing in Henryville.  The property next door was a popular stop as a general store, Mrs. DeWeese was known for being a very sweet and loving lady.  The house was previously ... Read more
Built in 1926, the store was a frequent stop for many in Henryville. Many stopped in on their way to the doctor's office which was located on the north side of the store.  Dr. Elrod's office was moved when Hwy 160 (Colonel's Way) was cons... Read more
There had been two sets of tracks running through Henryville. This is photograph of  the earlier depot that was located on the west side of the tracks midway between County Road 160 and Main Street. It is uncertain when this depot was t... Read more
Owned by the Sauers Family,  this photograph shows the hotel back behind unnamed individuals with a cow. The building faced east and was located along the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks on what is now Railroad Street between Main Street ... Read more
A single story bungalow style, built in 1930 by Dr. S.B. Elrod.  He was a much beloved physician, known for his well-baby clinics throughout the county.  This home later became the residence of Dr. Shanklin.  You will notice the concret... Read more
This is a photograph, c 1910,  of the Pennsylvania Railroad Depot, years ago, there were two sets of tracks through Henryville. This depot was located between the two tracks and Pennsylvania Street just north of County Road 160. Originall... Read more
This building no longer exists and the stop is on private property.  However, it had to have had a great deal of importance to the community as you can see it listed on the 1875 plat map.   Davis, George W. Map of Clark County, Indiana.... Read more
This is an example of a Dutch Colonial style home, and it had been a gift from Dr. S.B. Elrod to his daughter and son-in-law, Homer & Autumn Elrod Clegg.  Homer Clegg is listed as the county treasurer in the Charlestown Sesquicentenni... Read more
This building was used as the first fire station in 1949.  Since the construction of the Monroe Township Fire Station, this building was used as a print shop and now as an antique shop.  
In this home, the telephone exchange by Hart and Dunlevy was first operated by the Enteman family in 1925, then later by the McNay family. This was a time of party lines and asking the operator to connect your call.  Long distance charge... Read more
The red brick building on the corner of Front Street and County Road 160 no longer exists but it had been the Dietrich Auto Dealership and Garage built in 1930.  It was used as a filling station and a garage, then Dietrich's Auto Repair... Read more
This building no longer exists.  However, the original location was next door to DeWeese's store in the middle of what is now County Road 160.  The building was moved when County Road 160 was being constructed in the 1940s. The new locat... Read more
Although it no longer exists, the building was originally built at about 1900. This is a picture of the Harry Enteman Barber Shop. Harry is the barber behind the right chair with Earl Heil as his customer and Floyd Stroud is the other bar... Read more
The building no longer exists.  However, the Entemans were very success in local businesses.  Besides running a store, there was a poolroom in the back, a barber shop next door and a telephone exchange down the street.   The first photo... Read more
Although this building no longer exists, it is easy to see what a thriving business the livery stable would have been in the age before the automobile.  These photographs, c 1900, display different angles of the Frank Masters Livery an... Read more
Back behind the depot there is a barn-like structure that would have been the Interuban stockyards.  This structure no longer exists.  The animals would have been loaded onto a car, which was pulled along the spur line of the Interurban r... Read more
Original location was close to Wolf Run Creek, built in 1876, but it burned in 1892,  Mentioned in Baird's History of Clark County, "Henryville had grown to have enough members of the Methodist church to reasonably expect that service shou... Read more
As stated on the their Facebook page, "Henryville Community Church is a people dedicated to loving God, loving one another as brothers and sisters in Christ, loving our neighbor, and loving even our enemies. We do this through prayer and b... Read more
This building is used by both the American Legion and the Henryville Community Association.  It has become a popular site to rent for parties and gatherings.  Our town has always been home for military veterans.  According to Baird's His... Read more
These are early views of Henryville High School.   1. Henryville High School building in Henryville, Indiana. The building was located on College Street. This photograph was taken in 1942. 2.. Henryville School Wagon photograph c1915 - ... Read more
The first school building built in 1911, about the time that the Henryville Seminary School was closed.  The school currently offers Pre-K through senior year.   It has gone through many transformations over the years, several additi... Read more
No longer exists, however the restaurant was on along the side of the Coots Garage.  It was not unusual to find small restaurants and garages along the main highways of the day.  Basic services were offered the traveler, long before sel... Read more
This structure no longer exists.  However, this photo shows the garage known at the time as Coots' Garage. The damage was significant after the tornado of June 7, 1948.  It was located in the northwest corner of College Street and Highw... Read more
Photograph was taken July 8,  1974 of Henryville Community Presbyterian Church. Although damaged in the 2012 tornado, the church is still there. The Presbyterians originally built a wooden church building in 1876 near Wolf Run Creek just... Read more
This structure no longer exists, however we know that a school was on this spot in 1850; another at about 1870 and the Henryville Seminary School was constructed in the 1880s.  Currently, there is a debate as to whether this could have b... Read more
This is Saint Francis Xavier Church in a 1943 photograph, Located at the northwest corner of Highway 160 and Highway 31. It was organized about 1869 by Irish and German Catholics and due to its location so close to the tracks, it was known... Read more
Photograph of the June 7, 1948 tornado damage to the former Indianapolis and Louisville Traction Company Interurban train station located in the northeast corner of Highway 31 & County Road 160 in Henryville, Indiana. At the time of the... Read more
Was built in 1924 by James and Laura Furnish and the original restaurant was operated by Red and Frances Furnish. During the construction of County road 160, the structure was moved from this location on State Road 31 to where it is now ... Read more
The street view shows how new businesses began to spring up after Hwy 31 was constructed in 1924 along where Ferguson St. had been. The new highway started to pull business away from the old railroad where the town first began.   ...
This building was originally a saloon, one time raided by the WCTU, (Women's Christian Temperance Union) who wielded axes and did their part to close the business for good.  The first photo is of a closer view of the saloon, in the backg... Read more
Moved from the small brick building on Front Street, the Post Office is more centrally located with more parking.  
The Indiana and Louisville Traction Co., commonly known as the Interurban, laid tracts in 1904-1905. It operated from 1905-1933, later the tracts were removed in 1935 as cars became more available to the public. The original depot in Hen... Read more
Also remembered as Hutchin's Garage, an early site of the Henryville Library and a video store.  According to Vivian Coomes Wright, there had been a poker room in the back of the station.  She knew this as her husband had worked there in ... Read more
 The wood frame church in the first photograph was built at this location in 1871, but it had burned in 1932. The other photograph is of the brick building built in 1932.  It was constructed in a Gothic Revival style. The Methodist fir... Read more
This photo was taken in 1974 but you can see that the building has not changed too much since then.   From the New Washington State Bank website:  "On March 6, 1908, the original New Washington State Bank opened on Main Street in New Was... Read more
The first photo is from about 1900 when the building was the Clegg Farm Implement store and telephone service.  The Cumberland telephone and telegraph Company came to Henryville in 1900. Indiana Bell Telephone was established in 1903, a... Read more
This was a busy place in its day.  Back when Fred Overton owned this structure,  the pressure cookers used in the KFC restaurants were manufactured as ordered by Col. Harlan Sanders when he was building up his business.   Later the busi... Read more
Originally, the Bollinger Funeral Home in the 1930s. It became the Payne Funeral Home and then the Stewarts Funeral Home.  It later became the Pyke Funeral home.  Mark Adams purchansed and renovated the original building in 2011, near... Read more
Dr. William Greene built the building in the 1950s.  Galney Bell was the first to run the store.  Followed by Kenny Bagshaw and then Nelson Dietrich.  Later known as Tanner's, this was a general store, and deli.  It was popular stop for... Read more
Charles and Annie Steen operated the combination Pool Hall and Bait Shop for a number of years and was a fixture in our town.  The building where they kept their business and had living quarters in the back is gone.  Charles died in 1975,... Read more
Unlike many small towns, we have our water corporation with local volunteers as board members.  The ladies in the office are long known for their friendly, helpful service.   The newspaper clipping is from the Charlestown Courier, June 2... Read more
According to Baird's History of Clark County;  "Henryville Lodge No. 651, of Henryville, was organized March, and chartered May 27, 1903."  It began with forty charter members; and had met upstairs over the Applegate grocery store until t... Read more
Also known as Stott's Sinclair Garage This photograph is dated May 22, 1963 of the Stott's Sinclair service station in Henryville, Indiana. The Stott's Sinclair Garage was located at about 305 South Ferguson Street. It was torn down in 1979... Read more
Started in 1976, making it one of the newer churches in town.  They have always been a very welcome part of community activities and the local Ministerial Association.  Sunday morning services are at 11:00. 
Dr. William Greene built the building in the 1950s.  This was the site of the Henryville Clinic where for generations; Henryvillians would receive help from Dr. William Greene and Dr. Joe Carr.  At one time, the clinic was complete with ... Read more
From their own website:  "The Monroe Township Fire Department, established in 1949  is a volunteer organization committed to serving the citizens of Henryville and Underwood of Monroe Township in northern Clark County, Indiana. We provi... Read more
Originally, a canning factory, this was also the site of the spring manufacturing company, which closed in the 1940s-1950s and moved to Evansville.  For a short time in the 1970s, it had been a truck topper factory.  It is now used as a... Read more
"First Baptist Church Henryville exists to GLORIFY God in all things, by PROCLAIMING the GOSPEL of Christ to all people, so their lives are TRANSFORMED for all time." "In 1954, on Palm Sunday a small group of Henryville residents led by Pa... Read more
The first location of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Henryville.  The Mt. Zion Shelter House is approximately where the church once stood.  The shelter house used as a meeting place for Memorial Day celebrations as well as other gathe... Read more
Bluelick Road had at one time been the main road into Henryville and on to Charlestown.  Unfortunately, the road was divided with the construction of Interstate 65 in the early 1960s.  The cemetery property is on both sides of the road, ... Read more
(aka Henryville Catholic Cemetery)  The ground for this cemetery was purchased in 1882.  Prior to this date, the deceased were often carried to St. Mary of the Knobs, 17 miles away. Later St. Joseph's Hill cemetery was used which was 15 m... Read more
This spot is land locked but can be reached by two different routes.  From the south of the property at 309 N. Francke Rd, or from the north by going up over the hill west of the Marathon Gas Station, park by the cell tower and walk due no... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.