Created By: Columbus Area Visitors Center
From Wikipedia : The first settlement at Hope was made in 1830 by a colony of Moravians from Salem, North Carolina (now Winston-Salem), led by the Rev. Martin Hauser, after whom the town high school is named. Although a 1905 source claimed that the town was named for the optimistic spirit of its Moravian pioneer settlers, "Hope" is a common name for religious settlements, denoting hope in God's favor and the resurrection. Hope is home to three buildings designed by acclaimed architects: Hope Elementary (Taft Associates), Hope Branch Library (Deborah Berke), and Hope Star-Journal (Harry Weese). The latter was built as a branch of Irwin Union Bank.