William Henry Miller Downtown Architecture Walking Tour

Stroll by notable downtown buildings spanning over three decades of work by architect William Henry Miller.

William Henry Miller Downtown Architecture Walking Tour

Ithaca, New York 14850, United States

Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County

Tour Information

This tour was developed by the History Center in Tompkins County and Historic Ithaca.

William Henry Miller (1848-1922) was one of Ithaca's most prolific local architects, dramatically reshaping the skyline of Ithaca and Cornell University. After attending Cornell for two years, he began practicing locally, designing landmarks like Cornell's McGraw Tower and Uris Library, Risley Hall, Barnes Hall, and numerous private residences and local churches. Check out the corresponding PocketSights tour of lower Collegetown for more information about his work.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
The William Henry Miller Inn

303 North Aurora Street, built in 1880-1881 This Queen Anne style building was originally commissioned by Calvin D. Stowell, a local grocer. R. C. Osborn purchased the house in 1914 and married Agda Swenson in 1922. Although R. C. Osborn pa... Read more
2
First Unitarian Society of Ithaca

302 North Aurora Street, built in 1893-1894 This is the second William Henry Miller designed church to be on this location. After the previous church burned down in 1893, Miller donated his services to design a new Romanesque church in memo... Read more
3
First Unitarian Society of Ithaca Parish House

306 North Aurora Street, built in 1895-1896 This Queen Anne style building was built as the home of Oliver L. Dean, president of Bush and Dean dry goods. It later served as offices for physicians Francis Forster and  Frank S. Janas befo... Read more
4
United Way of Tompkins County

313 North Aurora Street, built in 1890 Sometimes referred to as the Livermore Memorial Building, this home was built as a private residence for cobbler Charles G. Hoyt. The building was purchased by George Livermore, founder of Ithaca Gun C... Read more
5
Private Residence, 316 East Court Street

316 East Court Street, built in 1883-1884 This private residence was built for Thomas B. Campbell, a local builder who oversaw construction of the First Presbyterian Church of Ithaca.
6
First Baptist Church

309 North Cayuga Street, built in 1890-1891 Designed in the Romanesque style by William Henry Miller, this is the third Baptist church on this location, replacing churches built in 1831 and 1855. John D. Rockefeller helped fund the construc... Read more
7
The DeWitt Mall

201 North Cayuga Street, built in 1912-1914 Ithaca's first school was built on this location in 1807, and the current structure is the fourth to school building at this corner, replacing the high school that burned down in 1912. When the hi... Read more
8
The Clinton House

120 North Cayuga Street, built circa 1830 When this Greek Revival building first opened, it was called one of the best hotels west of the Hudson River. The so-called founder of Ithaca, Simeon DeWitt, lived in the hotel when visiting Ithaca ... Read more
9
St. Catherine's Greek Orthodox Church

120 West Seneca Street, built in 1882-1884 Originally used as a Congregational church known as the First Church of Christ, this building served as offices for the Ithaca College music department from 1959 to 1966, when St. Catherine's purc... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.