Created By: Dogwood Arts
Dogwood Trail West
6.5 Miles | Trail begins at 415 Cherokee Blvd (37919)
Knoxville’s first dogwood trail was established in Sequoyah Hills in 1955 and includes some of the city’s most beautiful scenic landscapes. The trail begins on Cherokee Boulevard, which was named for the Indians who were Knoxville’s original ‘first settlers. Many of the streets throughout the neighborhood have Indian names, such as Iskagna, Agawela, Keowee, Taliluna, and Tugaloo and a 1,000- year- old Indian mound rises in the median of Cherokee Boulevard.
Between 1927 and 1929 several landscape features were built, including gateposts at either end of Cherokee Blvd, two fountains (Sunshine Fountain & Panther Fountain), stone benches, and Papoose Park. Cherokee motifs decorate these features, suggesting inspiration from both Cherokee folklore and the Art Deco movement. These early improvements endured as a hallmark of the area and are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In the springtime, the neighborhood rolls out the pink carpet with abundant flowering dogwoods, spectacular landscapes, and a line of ancient cherry trees along the boulevard which is a popular trail for walkers and runners.
Open Gardens and Camera Sites
The open gardens and camera sites listed are only open April 1-30. Please visit only when yard signs are displayed.
Camera Site: Available for photos; please do not enter the gardens.
Open Gardens: Open for a self guided tour daily form 10am-6pm.
About Dogwood Arts
Dogwood Arts has a 65-year history of arts advocacy, environmental stewardship, and economic impact in East Tennessee. With the financial support of corporate sponsors, grant funding, local government investment, and private donors, we produce 20 year-round events and programs that help make Knoxville a great place to live, work and play.
For more information, please visit dogwoodarts.com/trailsandgardens