Walking Tour of LaGrange Historic District - Tour #4

Hisorical Tour of LaGrange on Lagrange Road and Madison between Cossitt and 47th

Walking Tour of LaGrange Historic District - Tour #4

La Grange, Illinois 60525, United States

Created By: LaGrange Area Historical Society

Tour Information

The Village of La Grange was incorporated in 1879, just nine years after its founder, Franklin D. Cossitt, began his program of organizing a quality residential community. The success of his plan has continued to be a source of civic pride and has resulted in the enduring attractiveness and stability of the community. According to architect Wilbert R. Hasbrouck, “Village of La Grange Historic District as a well preserved suburban community with excellent examples of domestic architecture dating from the late 19th century to the early 20th century.” In his statement requesting that the La Grange Historic District be nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, architect Hasbrouck wrote:

In its totality, the La Grange Historic District represents a period of architectural development of high artistic value and significance to the history of the region. Furthermore, the buildings have survived intact while continuing to be used for their original purpose.

Tour #4 presents Madison Avenue and a revised look at La Grange Road;

All tours include commentary about the history and style of the buildings, which represent a variety of architectural styles and which were often designed by such notables as Frank Lloyd Wright, J. C. Llewellyn, E. H. Turnock, and J.N. Tilden.

In order to limit the length of each tour, the Society has highlighted only homes of the very highest degree of historical and architectural significance. However, the beauty of the Village lies in the overall quality of all of its residences. If you have an extra few minutes to devote to your tour, you might also want to study some of these other fine houses.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

444 South La Grange Road was the farmhouse of Samuel Vial, whose farmland stretched eastward past East Avenue. Samuel Vial died in 1911 at the age of 92, and his son Joseph lived in the house until his death in 1949 at the age of 97.   The... Read more
440 South La Grange Road was the home of Agnes and Samuel Vial, Jr. It is an American Foursquare. Note the hipped roof, dormer, and simple wood detailing on the porch gable.  
424 South La Grange Road is a vernacular which uses elements of the national style and the Queen Anne. The home has belonged to architect H.C. Tilden, Edward Walden, and Griswalk Van Dyke, who was the first local golfer to become a member o... Read more
416 South La Grange Road is a simplified Queen Anne that once belonged to the family of Miss Grace Stone, a playmate of Marshall Field, Jr. Mist Stone’s half-sister, Miss Johnson, once had the honor of playing the piano for composer Franz... Read more
408 South La Grange Road is the first of thirteen homes on this tour to have been cited as being of first architectural significance. It is a vernacular with Queen Anne/Victorian influences. Of particular interest are the decorative fishsca... Read more
404 South La Grange Road is an excellent example of Victorian/Queen Anne architecture and was once the home of Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Vial. Note the short, broad turret on the façade and the full-length, wraparound porch supported by classi... Read more
340 South La Grange Road was built c 1886 and is a late Victorian. John Haviland, a member of the Bavarian family who manufactured Haviland China, and his family lived in this house from 1894-1960’s.
334 South La Grange Road this house once belonged to Charles Horr and Marie Horr, who was president of the La Grange Women’s Club and was active in charitable organizations. Daughter Louise married State Senator Arthur Sprague. Once can s... Read more
320 South La Grange Road was the home of John Mavor, a prominent contractor who came to La Grange from his native Scotland with Peter Duncan McGregor. Both men played their native game of golf at the La Grange Country Club, which, at that t... Read more
312 South La Grange Road This is an excellent example of the Victorian/Queen Anne style. Notice the two-story corner turret, full length wrap around porch with dentilwork cornice and fluted ionic column supports
300 South La Grange Road This particular was designed by J.C. Llewellyn and became of the home of A.E. Cross in 1902. Mr. Cross became vice-president of the Chicago Board of Trade in 1918. Note the coach house with a gable roof and dormers.... Read more
240 South La Grange Road was built in 1874 for David Lyman, one of the “founding fathers” of La Grange. Note the exaggerated detail detailing in the gables.
224 South La Grange Road This foursquare was once owned by Harry Tisdale, who in 1921 was convicted of having embezzled $26,238 from his employers, Manufacturers’ Junction Railroad Company. Caught by Pinkerton’s, Tisdale was sentenced t... Read more
212 South La Grange Road is a late Victorian that once belonged to Frank McGuigan, Jr., a regional engineer for the US. Railway Administration who attended the 1921 inauguration of President Harding. Mrs. McGuigan and her sister were the si... Read more
200 South La Grange Road is a colonial revival-influenced vernacular that once belonged to Edward E. Gore, President of the Chicago Association of Commerce and Industry and of the American Institute of Accountants. In 1922 the Illinois Jour... Read more
136 South La Grange Road was built in 1903 for Dr. Detweiller, whose office was located off the driveway in a small room opening onto the porch. Note the Prairie Style elements, such as the wooden beltcourse between the first and second sto... Read more
130 South La Grange Road is a Queen Anne that once belonged to Walter M. Wood, a prominent educator and contribute to the Encyclopedia Americana. Note the Palladian first Palladian window in the front gable.
124 South La Grange Road is known as the H.S. Mitchell house. Designed y E.H. Turnock, it was built in 1891 by F.D. Cossitt as a wedding gift for his daughter, who married Mr. Mitchell. Notice the two-story corner turret with an ornamental ... Read more
116 South La Grange Road belonged to L. Henry, a pioneer of Lyons Township, whose son Robert was one of the area’s best known farmers.
In 1896 the idea for a free public library came from the La Grange Women’s Club, whose members obtained donations of 100 books which became the Village’s first lending library. Later, railroad magnate Andrew Carnegie donated $12,500 to ... Read more
The original limestone building housing Cossitt School was torn down in 1921. The present, larger stone and brick structure possesses the rectangular turrets and spires of tudor-style architecture. Its stained glass windows, the work of Ven... Read more
First United Methodist Church of La Grange is one of the oldest recorded churches in the La Grange Area. The original church building was designed by E.R. Tunock in 1892 and dedicated in 1895. A new sanctuary, which houses a mosaic stained ... Read more
202 South Madison is the Queen Anne once owned by Alfred J. Cota, a recognized authority in railroad brakes. Notable details include the decorative tussing and shingles in the front gable and the large, stained-glass stairwell window on the... Read more
205 South Madison is a bungalow once owned by the prominent family of C.W. Richmond, one of the first settlers of La Grange and at one time the superintendent of schools. During his years involved with real estate, Richmond built the first ... Read more
212 South Madison was the home of Edward E. Barrett, a Village trustee from 1907-1909. For nearly ten years he was in charge of the Mississippi River construction work for the U.S. government, as was the highest salaried individual in the s... Read more
225 South Madison was the Queen Anne home of Judge E.B. Bushness, a descendant of David Bushnell, who invented the submarine in 1771. Esculine Thirsk was appointed in 1915 by President Wilson to be the official sponsor of the submarine tend... Read more
241 South Madison was cited as being of first architectural significance to the Village. This Italianate boasts twelve-foot ceilings and many fireplaces; it was built in 1862. Notice the sandwich brackets and dentilwork on the cornice, the ... Read more
312 South Madison is a Victorian with an elaborate sunburst motif panel in the gable with two variations in shingles. Owner F.K. Vial was president and member of the LT school board for twelve years. As president of the Griffin Wheel Compan... Read more
340 South Madison is an outstanding Victorian house. The porch and transoms are notable architectural details. The house has recently been covered by aluminum siding. In 1949 Kenneth D. Fry, whose family owned the house since the beginning ... Read more
350 South Madison is an excellent craftsman-style house. Notice the cross gable roof, the three porches with tapered panel half-pier supports, and the triangular knee braces in the eaves of the gable.
405 South Madison exhibits high-quality elements of the Queen Anne, which include a fishscale belt course between the first and second story and an extended full front porch.
411 South Madison The Saxe Family of 411 and 120 South Madison were relatives of Mary Todd Lincoln, Abraham’s wife. Mrs. Frances Drury Saxe was a member of LTHS’s first graduating class in 1891.
423 South Madison is a rare La Grange Example of the Prairie Style. Especially of interest are the decorative treatment of windows on the second story and the casement windows.
424 South Madison has been recognized as a fine example of the Craftsman bungalow Note the arched line of the eaves, as well as the decorative cornices under them.
444 South Madison was the home of Almon B. Stroger, who worked on a contrivance that revolutionized telephone communications. He is credited with the invention of the automatic switching system which enable people to make calls without goin... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.