Historic Loveland Walking Tour: Residential Loop

Explore the history and residential architecture of Loveland, CO!

Historic Loveland Walking Tour: Residential Loop

Loveland, Colorado 80537, United States

Created By: City of Loveland Historic Preservation Commission

Tour Information

The Residential Loop features some of Loveland's historic homes and architecture. It is approximately a 1.5 mile walk, mainly along West 4th Street and West 5th Street.

The Historic Preservation Commission in partnership with the Loveland Museum/Gallery, the Loveland Historical Society, and other local preservationists, headed up this historic walking tour to feature Historic Loveland.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

In addition to some important community buildings like schools and churches, this walking tour features some historic homes that were either given Loveland historic landmark status for their individual significance to the community or that ... Read more
(Known as Grace Community Church)  First Presbyterian Church was founded in 1904 by the Reverend Rueben S. Smith and twenty-six members. The growing congregation decided to erect a church on three lots at the southeast corner of Fourth Str... Read more
(Known as Bill Reed Middle School) This massive structure opened in 1918 as Loveland High School. Upon completion of a major remodeling in 1939, the school operated as a combination junior and senior high school. After the older students le... Read more
Mr. and Mrs. Winslow Earl Jeffery purchased this property from Henry Uhrich on January 18, 1910. The foursquare-style house stood largely as constructed until 2008 when an addition—designed by architect Bud Frick of Fort Collins—was bui... Read more
This Tudor Revival was built in 1927 by contractor William W. Green of Loveland and initially occupied by his daughter Mary and her husband Elmer Ivers. The Ivers family resided here for nearly forty years, until circa 1965. A distinguished... Read more
This bungalow, featuring a semicircular arched portico with Tuscan columns, was built in 1923 by contractor William W. Green. The home was occupied initially by Clarence E. and Minnie J. Lightner from 1925 to the mid-1930s. From circa 1936 ... Read more
Built in 1926 by contractor William W. Green, this bungalow’s most distinctive features include the Colonial Revival-style porch, the brick chimney, and the small eyebrow dormer on the front slope of the roof. The home’s only known alte... Read more
This one-and-a-half story bungalow and garage were built by contractor William M. Green in 1922 and originally owned by Charles and Mae Evett. In 1925, this became the home of John S. and Jennie M. Mahanna, owners of the J.S. Mahanna Coal C... Read more
First owned by Charles E. and Georgia Angove, this Classical Revival bungalow was built by contractor William W. Green in 1924. Mr. Angove served as the station agent at Loveland’s Union Pacific Railroad Depot from 1898 to 1903 and was th... Read more
This Craftsman bungalow was built between 1922 and 1925 by contractor William W. Green and initially occupied by the Peterson family until around 1939. Attorney Hatfield Chilson (a partner in the firm Chilson & McCreary) and his wife Ma... Read more
Contractor William W. Green built this Classical Revival bungalow in 1924 for his own family, who lived here until the late 1930s. A substantial addition to the south elevation predates 1968. In 1983, the house was connected to the garage b... Read more
This Craftsman bungalow was built in the early 1920s. The first owner and occupant was Bernt Hanson around 1922 to 1927. Occupied by several others for brief periods, the house became the property of Raymond W. and Mabel Darling in 1933. Th... Read more
Built in 1901, this brick home was owned and occupied by the James Ivers family who moved here from Iowa in the late 1890s. The home underwent several renovations prior to 1999. James Ivers, a notable businessman and building contractor, is... Read more
Norton C. Fansler built this Queen Anne Vernacular in 1905 for a local minister who occupied it with his elderly mother. Other than upgraded plumbing and heating systems and a modernized kitchen and bath, the house retains its original appe... Read more
A former grocery store, this Vernacular-style structure was built in 1922. Telephone directories from 1922 and 1927 list Lewis H. and Mae Tiley as the proprietors. By 1927, the store had been taken over by William H. Knievel; 1930s director... Read more
This Edwardian-style house, built in 1897, was the residence of Aaron Shaw Benson, an influential and prosperous citizen of Loveland who served as a Representative in the Colorado Legislature. Additions include a bathroom on the north side ... Read more
Built in 1902, this late-Victorian was owned by Lee J. Kelim until 1906 when it was purchased by the Mayor of Loveland, Harry E. Kelly and his family. The property changed hands several times. The current owner has lived here since 1952. Th... Read more
This late-Victorian house was built around 1907. Winfield and Grace Mahaffey and their family resided here until circa 1939. Several subsequent owners occupied the home until the current residents purchased it in 1973. The property includes... Read more
Frank G. Bartholf constructed this Eclectic Victorian in 1891 as part of a small subdivision. The original structure exemplified the characteristics of a Queen Anne cottage in its use of iron roof cresting, a veranda, and carved spindlework... Read more
This property was initially developed around 1906 with the construction of a house for Robert and Katie Russell. Arthur and Mary Armstrong purchased the property in 1925 and hired contractor William W. Green to rebuild at this site. The sub... Read more
This English-Norman Cottage is believed to have been built by contractor William W. Green circa 1932. Home to original owners Jesse A. and Gretchen R. Sampson, the property was purchased by the Handys, who resided here from the late 1930s t... Read more
Built in 1903 under the direction of Father G. Joseph LaJeunesse (pastor of St. Joseph’s in Fort Collins), St. John’s served its members at this location until 1957. Used as a Knights of Columbus Hall through the late 1960s, the buildin... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.