Historic Churches Waking Tour

Historic Churches Waking Tour

Madison, Indiana 47250, United States

Created By: Visit Madison, Inc.

Tour Information

Explore over 15 historic churches in Madison, Indiana.

This tour is sponosred by the Jefferson County Historical Society History Center. 615 W. First Street, Madison, IN 47250 | 812-265-2335 | www.jchshc.org

Acknowlesgement: The material in the tour was researched and organized by Jan Vetrhus, Cornerstone Society, Inc.

For a paper copy of the walking tour go to the Visitors Center: 601 W. First Street.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

ARCHITECTURE/CULTURE Madision Presbyterian church was founded in 1815, but did not have an official pastor until 1824. The present sanctuary was built in 1846 in a style reminiscent of the early churches in New England. Including the land, ... Read more
Sisters of Providence, 420 Broadway. This frame building is the site of the first catholic mass in Madison in 1817. In 1844 it became St. Anne's Academy which was run by the Sisters of Providence. 
210 W. Third Street. The Roberts M. E. Capel was built in 1852 by the Third Street Methodists - a congregation formed in 1844 by a group who split off from the Wesley Chapel over how much choir music and how much congregational signing shou... Read more
101 East Third Street, Greek Revival. In 1833 Pastor Johnson and 63 members petitioned to split the church and organize the 2nd Presbyterian Church. They built this Greek Revival building in 1935 just one block south of the 1st Presbyterian... Read more
113 East Third Street. Madison had an active Jewish community with the earliest records dating from 1849. In 1855 a synagogue was established and in 1868 this building was purchased from the Radical Methodists to be used as a synagogue. The... Read more
506 Mulberry Street, Gothic Revival. Completed in 1850 this is the second oldest Episcopal Church building in Indiana. The east windows are notable examples of American stained glass, created in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh in 1850. It is stil... Read more
217 E. 3rd Street. This church was organized in 1844 to serve German-speaking Methodists. It remained separate until they joined Trinity United Methodist in 1925. Today the building it once again an active church - Faith Covenant.
309 E. 5th Street, Greek Revival. Constructed in 1850 this served as the AME Church until 1926. It was a Pilgram Holiness Church from 1926 until 1943. Around the corner is a little shotgun house that was the Methodist Episcopal Church. It w... Read more
421 E. 3rd Street. The parish was founded in 1817 by Father Michael Edger Shawe, and this stone church was built between 1837 and 1839. It was known as the Irish church and was an active parish through the 1980s. The Sisters of Providence o... Read more
Greek Revival, 406 East Street. This building was constructed in 1850 as St. John's Methodist Church. When the congregation joined with others to form Trinity Methodist in 1872 the building was sold to the Congregational Church. That church... Read more
413 E. 2nd Street. This church was founded in 1850 for German-speaking Catholics who did not feel at home at St. Michael's. The church had no furnace or stove and no empty pews at high mass! German was used exclusively in services. It was e... Read more
222 W. Main Street. This church, built in 1831, was located on the site of what is now the Main Street parking lot. After the church united with Trinity Methodist in 1881 the building became the Madison Opera House. It was razed in the 1970... Read more
409 Poplar Street. The congregation was organized in 1866 as Bryant's Chapel. It moved to Poplar Street in 1878. They were able to build the church with the help of the Church Extension Society for Black Methodists. The church closed in 200... Read more
409 Broadway Street, Gothic Revival. In 1869 the trustees of Robert's Chapel proposed to the trustees of St. John's Methodists that they be united in a new church to be known as Trinity Methodist. A new building was one of the terms of the ... Read more
615 Broadway. Black congregants separated from First Baptist in 1848, and Second Baptist was founded in 1849. They first worshipped on the south side of 5th Street between Mulberry and West Streets. in 1879 they built this building on Broad... Read more
416 Vine Street, Greek Revival. Organized as Crooked Creek Baptist in 1807, the congregtion became First Baptist in 1829 and built a new church in 1831. From 1853 to 1860 construction took place on the building that you see today. It is sti... Read more
516 W. Main Street. Founded in 1836 by the Disciples of Christ, a brick church was built on this site in 1864. That church was destroyed by fire Christmas Eve 1899. The congregation rebuilt a new church in 1901, but that one suffered a majo... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.