Cruisin' in Nappanee

Find out about the history of automobiles in Nappanee.

Cruisin' in Nappanee

Nappanee, Indiana 46550, United States

Created By: Nappanee Public Library

Tour Information

Hello! Welcome! Downtown Nappanee used to be home to garages and car dealerships. Today we will learn about these businesses and where they were. From agents to McCormick’s learn about these establishments and men in the car dealing occupation. Let’s hit the pavement and get started!

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Yoder’s: Jonas and Moses Yoder built their garage in 1909 at the same time as Keller did at the corner of Main and Walnut Street. In 1918, they sold their business to Ira Heckaman. Moses went on to own the Yoder Bus and Cab Company after ... Read more
Alonzo Babcock's livery was constructed in 1891 by Horace Stauffer for Mr. Babcock’s use and it was said to be a very convenient and comfortable barn. The building was a wooden structure that was attached to the brick portion.  The first... Read more
Kenneth (Kacy) Calbeck was a Chrysler and Plymouth Dealer for 40 years and he was a member of the Nappanee Auto Dealers. He had Kacy’s Deluxe Motor Sales and Kacy’s Sinclair Service, which had a gas pump and was known from coast to coas... Read more
Orville “Peachy'' Clip was the owner of Clipp’s from 1925-1949. He resigned from his position at Stuckman and Culp in 1917 and accepted a position as a sales manager for the Smith Motor Company in 1920. He purchased Geyer’s Auto Suppl... Read more
Started in 1926 in what was known as the Grey Goose Garage with a Chevrolet Motor Car dealership. A year later Chrysler and Hudson-Essex dealerships were taken on and the building at 152 West Walnut Street (the Napa store) was leased in 192... Read more
The Carriage Company was originally the Rupp Carriage Works. It had moved from Milford to Nappanee in 1891 and outgrew the original factory that was in Nappanee. Mr. Rupp, Miller, and Cosper entered into a partnership and started negotiatin... Read more
Rosbrugh/Livery barn in the vicinity:  In 1884 Jacob Pippenger and L.B. Winder purchased the property on the corner of South Main Street. It had been occupied by Charles Rosburgh, who had run the business on the property as a livery. In 18... Read more
John Keller:  When bicycles first came into existence Keller began manufacturing them in 1891.  His company is known as Keller Cyclery Company. His wooden framed bicycles were known as the “Nap”. He quit making bicycles when concerns ... Read more
The Brown Brothers were dealers in agricultural implements, wagons, buggies, windmills, buckeye binders, and mowers. They started their business on March 1, 1889.  They sold Studebaker wagons.  The Studebaker wagons were very popular with... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to