Uptown Port Jervis Tour

Uptown Port Jervis Tour

Port Jervis, New York 12771, United States

Created By: Visit Port Jervis

Tour Information

Walking tour through the uptown neighborhood past sites of interest relating to former industries, hotels and buildings, as well as notable extant buildings.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Site of Deer Park Creamery
Constitution Square is the name of the intersection at Sussex and Hammond Streets.  Notice the plaques on the corners for Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and the women and veterans of America.  This intersection has and continues to be ... Read more
On the north side of Pike Street around Farmer's Market Square stood this ornate 19th century building. The Farnum-Masonic Building was built in 1882 by Peter Farnum.  It was home to the National Bank, the post office, the Port Jervis Unio... Read more
At the southeast corner of Hammond and Pike Streets was the Old Opera Building.  The opera house was run by George Lea in the late 19th century.  Lea, a Frenchborn Englishman was a successful Port Jervis businessman who ran a drugstore he... Read more
The Tri-States Railroad Museum on Pike Street is a small exhibition space in the lobby of this building with display cases and artifacts relating to the railroad history.  There are plans for a more permenant home for the museum's collecti... Read more
The Port Jervis Free Library was organized in 1892.  Until 1903, it was located on the second floor of the nearby Farnum Building.  The new library opened in 1903 and was designed by William S. Ackerman. In 2016, the library opened a p... Read more
This site along a small outlet stream for the canal was home to a grist mill, also called the Dr. Ball Mill.  The structure remained there until a fire destroyed it in the 1990's. Today, there are no signs of the mill or silk factory tha... Read more
Nathan Skinner Wagon Factory, pictured in the 1880s
This inn along the canal was known as the Union House, the Penney Hotel, the Gumaer House, the Colonial Inn and the Olde Canal Inn.  
The Fire Museum at 8 Orange Street is housed in the old Maghogomock Hook & Ladder Company building.  The museum includes artifacts from the city's fire department including a horse-drawn pumper from 1894.  The museum opened in 2007 ... Read more
Hotel Minisink was built in 1924 to accomodate tourists to the area.  Today the building, which looks similar to the way it looked when it was a hotel, has been converted to apartments.
On July 5, 1886, this statue dedicated to honor the 124th Regiment "Orange Blossoms" Company F in front of a crowd of 10,000 people. In 2020, a grant was approved to refurbish the monument.
In 1878, writer and abolitionist, Jonathan Townley Crane and Mary Helen Peck Crane and their nine children moved from Paterson, New Jersey to Port Jervis.  Crane served as pastor for the Drew Methodist Church until his death in 1880.  A s... Read more
This hill was the site of the house and tavern of Peter Kuykendall, which was burned by Brant's Raider on July 20, 1779.  Joseph Brant was a Mohawk chief and captain in the British army.  Peter Kuykendall is the namesake of Point Peter as... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.