Main Street Union Oregon Walking Tour

Visit the historic homes and building of Union Oregon

Main Street Union Oregon Walking Tour

Union, Oregon 97883, United States

Created By: Main Street Union

Tour Information

By 1865 the population of Union had grown to over on hundred inhabitants and forced David Bivens and Samuel Hannah to lay out a large tract of land, west of Main Street which become known as West Union. Nine year s later North Union came into existence on land that had once belonged to the original claim of homesteader Fred Nodine. Union received its charter from the State of Oregon on October 19th 1878, and seven years later the first telephone system was installed. It ran between the train depot and Dr. Drake's office uptown. Union County was named after the town of Union. The bustling town of Union began its decline when the county seat moved to La Grande in 1905.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

In 1919 the businessmen of Union recognized the need to provide modern accommodations and dinning facilities for motorists going through town on Highway 30, the main rout of travel through Eastern Oregon.  The Union Hotel  was opened in... Read more
This single story bungalow was built in the 1920's by Thomas and Charles Adams.  The Adams brothers constructed a number of quality Union residences between 1910 and 1930. Today this home still has its original character (5) ...
This Mansard style house was built in 1904 by Abel Eaton,  The lowered roof-line erupting in gabled windows engulfs the upper story and, in effect turns the attic into a second story.  The house contains six bedrooms, two baths and two ... Read more
Virginia-born Jeremiah Thomson moved west during the 1850's. serving as a government scout to help immigrants settle in Oregon.  in 1873 he built this beautiful home, a simple cottage with an ornate Renaissance Revival style octagon towe... Read more
The Union Drug Store building, built in 1903 by L.A. Wright, sits on the site of one of the earliest dwellings in Union.  Those first structures succumbed to fire except for the building used by JA Chapman, who had Union's first store.  ... Read more
A blacksmith stand occupied this spot in the 1870's before the Wilson Brothers brick building was erected in the 1890s.  The Union Railroad offices were housed here until the line was abandoned in 1924. (37) 
The Union National Bank began in 1910 and merged with the first National Bank in 1919.  The north addition to this building, the Oregon Trail Garage, was owned  by Thomas Baxter into the 1950's.  the buildings have served various comm... Read more
Built in 1881 as the Benson Brothers Meat Packing Company, this building is one of the longest continuous use structure for the same type of business.  It was advertised in the 1880's and 90's as "Union's Meat Market".  The middle portio... Read more
This Italianate commercial style building was built in 1870.  Wright is said to have operated Union's first bank out of this building, living in the small dwelling attached tot he rear.  The site become a grocery and stationary store in... Read more
William Roth built this commercial building in 188; it was the site of the First National Bank of Union  until 1952, when a more "Modern" bank was built up the street.  The second Story was originally used as the International Order of ... Read more
Union High School was constructed in 1911 and looks today much like it did when it opened, with towering columns as its main entry continuing to provide a look of elegance.  The building occupies land where the Union County Courthouse o... Read more
Originally the Methodist Church, the Little White Church is a single story vernacular Gothic style church built in 1873 by early Methodist settlers.  This is one of the oldest Church building remaining in Union.  The Church has a stone ... Read more
Union City Hall is on the record as being one of the smallest and oldest in Oregon.  The construction of City Hall was undertaken in earnest late in 1880's to provide a fitting place for business for the growing town, as well as a new cit... Read more
Levy Brothers General Store,  this one-story rectangular building built in 1870, has a stone foundation, volcanic tuff storefront and brick walls.  The storefront was originally Italianate with cast iron, but was changed around the turn o... Read more
The Masonic Lodge was built in 1898 on the property donated by John Burns, the proprietor of Union's first hardware store.  This prominent two-story structure is built with red brick volcanic tuff front.  Today, it is the Union Post Off... Read more
The Italianate commercial building was built in 1873; in 1877 and adjacent facility was built.  The north site comprised a general mercantile establishment called Foster Bridges & Company, which did business into the 1890s.  By 1900... Read more
Built in 1920 by Leo Hanson, the Eagle Tavern has a stepped parapet and an altered store front.  It was operated as a tavern during most of its existence.  Today the building houses the Knitkaboob Knitting Shop. (14) ...
The Knights of Pythias Hall was built in the Italianate style in 1898.  This versatile building has been used as a lodge hall, office, a Japanese restaurant, and a Mercantile and Grocery.  The upper story was used as a dance hall until go... Read more
The Wright and Davis Mercantile Building left, built in 1880, has a flat roof with a stepped parapet, The middle section, built in 1891, does not reflect its original style.  I has houses and electric/ plumbing store, a bowing alley, and... Read more
Carnegie Library, in the summer of 1912, the City of Union received a letter with a postmark from Scotland.  It was from Andrew Carnegie, and in the letter the gentlemen offered to give the City $5,500 to build a library.  With the money... Read more
The Union City Park,  the land for the Historic City Park was donated by Samual and Ester Pursel in 1917 (7A)


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to