The town acquired the fountain from the J. L. Mott Company in New York City, and had it installed in 1892, in the fall. The Bloomsburg Water Company informed Town Council it would supply free water for a fountain, and Town Council used mone... Read more
The Caldwell Consistory was built in the Victorian Eclectic/ Modified Colonial Revival Style. Trumen P. Reitmyer, of Williamsport, was the Architect. Caldwell Consistory, Valley of Bloomsburg, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry,... Read more
The front section of the Columbia County Courthouse was built in the Romanesque Revival style. When the county seat was moved from Danville to Bloomsburg in 1846, the town’s citizens raised private funds to erect the courthouse and jail. ... Read more
The Bloomsburg Town Hall was constructed in the Romanesque Style. Notice that the exterior walls incorporated molded terra cotta bricks (now painted). Bloomsburg is the only “incorporated town” in the state. Originally, this building ac... Read more
Carver Hall was built in the Georgian Revival Style with Italianate Revival Elements. The center cupola was replaced by a projecting domed bell tower in 1900. Lights were added to the tower in 1954 as a memorial to students who died serving... Read more
This clock was erected by the A.B. Hess Jewelry Store and was relettered when the business was bought by Sneidman circa 1924. A similar clock stood near Market Square at the former Roy’s Jewelers, 40 West Main Street.
The Alvina Krause Theatre is designed in the Art Deco style. The Grand Opera House, built in 1874, was formerly located on this site and was demolished in 1938 to make way for the Columbia Theatre, which opened in 1940. The Bloomsburg Theat... Read more
Constructed from seventeen blocks of granite, weighing 100 tons and rising sixty feet tall. Purchased by the County Commissioners from Worden Brothers, Batavia, New York. On the shaft are the names of some Civil War battles in which Columbi... Read more
Bloomsburg’s Colonial revival style post office is a handsome addition to the streetscape. The red brick and white trim harmonize with nearby buildings. The triangular pediment and fan light echo the pediment and arched windows of the pub... Read more
Made of Cast Iron. Erected on the southeast corner of Market and Main Streets after 66 citizens petitioned Town Council for a drinking fountain at Market Square; restored and relocated to this site in 1991. The name represents the three bas... Read more
The Bloomsburg Public Library is a High Georgian Revival Style. Verus T. Ritter was the architect. Appreciate the engaged stone façade and pedimented gable roof. Note the stone relief depicting the shield from the Pennsylvania coat of arm... Read more
Leave a Comment
Download the App
Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.