Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
Dating from the early 1800’s, this is a good example of an original Federal style house which was remodeled and extended with later Colonial Revival elements added. The simple, symmetrical five window façade and rectangular floor plan of the Federal house remains, but much was added on. The central gambrel roof with its Palladian window, the arched window dormers, the elaborate window trim, the semicircular side addition, the porte-cochere and the wrap-around porch with its tall thin Ionic columns are all marks of the house’s Colonial Revival transformation in the early twentieth century
This land was purchased in 1750 by Thomas Lowery when he was only 13 years old from Samuel Fleming who became his father-in-law when he married his daughter Esther in 1756. The Lowery’s established a thriving store on the site and were loyal supporters of the revolution and close friends of George Washington who is rumored to have visited them here in 1777.
The Lowery’s became large landowners and founded many buildings in town, including determining the direction and layout of Main Street which started at their store before selling up and moving to nearby Alexandria Township in 1785.
After the Lowery’s time, the estate of John Capner was developed here and later it was owned and remodeled by James E Brodhead, an executive with the New York Central Railroad. Adding the porte-cochere and slender Ionic columns, porch, bay windows and other decorative elements he created the magnificent beautifully balanced building we see today.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Flemington Historic Walking Tour - Main Street North