Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
This walking tour has been developed by the Flemington Historic Preservation Commission to highlight some of the significant and contributing historic buildings located within the northern section of Main Street.
With over 520 historic properties, Flemington's historic district makes up over 65% of the Borough and is the second largest in New Jersey. Only Cape May has more historic buildings, although Flemington has more variety, making it a great place to visit for those interested in historic architecture.
From the 1740s, when the first European settlers arrived, Flemington has grown from a predominantly farming community to incorporate new industry such as pottery and glass. At its peak it had three rail stations, three hotels and many historic buildings. It became a banking center and tax haven in the 1930s, and the headquarters for many large corporations such as Kodak and Standard Oil.
And famously for six weeks in 1935 the whole world was focused on Flemington with the 'trial of the century' taking place for the Charles Lindbergh baby kidnapping which occurred nearby in 1932.
This circular walking tour starts and ends near a free public parking lot and takes the walker past seventeen historic buildings covering many architectural periods and styles along with buildings that were central to the Lindbergh kidnapping trial.
Please cross roads safely at designated crossing points.
Architectural periods covered.
Architectural styles covered.
Lindbergh buildings covered.
For consistency each entry consists of a short description of the Architectural style followed by some commentary on the history of the building, people and related events.
For further information please visit flemingtonhpc.com
For suggestions and corrections please email email@example.com
This commentary has been compiled based on various sources, including the following recommended references.