Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
Dating from 1883, this large church on a prominent intersection is a great example of the Gothic Revival style, almost completely unchanged since it was built. Solid brownstone walls, steep slate roofs, tall lancet and round stained-glass windows and a black iron fence give it an ancient and permanent feel. But the two metal ventilators on the ridge and dormer-like roof vents speak to the Victorian’s interest in fresh air and modern convenience. The very tall tower houses bells, but is really there to accent the whole composition, and mark it as a church
The first congregation was formed in 1791 and the first building was completed in 1794. This was located within the current cemetery, with a tavern located on the site of the present church. Thomas Reading and Jasper Smith were the first elders, ordained on July 16, 1797. On that day frontier funds were collected. The frontier then was in the middle of New York State and western Pennsylvania!
In 1856 the tavern was purchased and demolished and replaced in 1857 with a new larger house on the present site. In 1883, the present larger church building was constructed. Stone and timbers were used from the first 2 buildings. The rose windows are signed Tiffany windows from the famed Tiffany studios in New York from the early 1900s.
Over 50 men from the congregation served in the civil war of 1861 to 1865 including minister John Janeway who served as a chaplain. Some of those who served are buried in the cemetery including Major Lambert Boeman who was killed at Cedar Creek, Virginia while serving with the 10th regiment of New Jersey.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Flemington Historic Walking Tour - Main Street North