Architectural Tour of Clinton


Clinton, Iowa 52732, United States

Created By: Matt Parbs


100-200 BLOCKS OF SOUTH 2ND STREET The west side of South 2nd Street has two, block-long frontages of late nineteenth-century and early twentieth-century commercial structures. The buildings are of brick and are two stories high, except for a single, frame, one-story building. With the exception of many storefront changes and some upper-story revisions, building integrity is preserved. The east side of the street, unfortunately, bears little resemblance to the district frontage as new construction and alterations have changed the total street character. Nevertheless, the west side of the street exhibits a continuity of material, height, scale, and usage to define a district of commercial architecture. The buildings of the district are identified as 161a through 161n and appear on Map No. 4. Descriptions follow:a) Eagles Lodge Hall/Hall's Appliance Center, 218-222 South 2nd Street; 1929.This commercial vernacular building has brick exterior walls devoid of ornamental features except for a continuous stone string course and corbeled brickwork. The ground floor has an altered storefront.b) The Hair Stable, 216 South 2nd Street; 1905.The narrow commercial building, which has only a twenty-foot frontage, is brick with a tin cornice and bay window. The storefront is intact with a wide expanse of glass and a slender, round, cast-iron colum.c) Chris Martensen Property, 214 South 2nd Street; c. 1864.A twenty-foot wide, commercial building, it has a ground-floor storefront that is still intact, with cast iron, wood, and glass. The upper story is brick with segmented, arched window openings and corbeled brick-work at the parapet.d) Carlson Paint, 212 south 2nd Street; 1899.This commercial building is brick on the upper story, with a tin cornice and bay window. The ground-floor store front has been altered and modernized.e) James Hass Property, 201-210 South 2nd Street; 1893-1894.A two-story brick for the upper exterior walls. The parapet has been rebuilt and now has a stone coping. A major change consists of an addition of corrugated siding for sign panels above the storefront windows.f) Douglass H. Lass Property, 200-202 South 2nd Street; 1885.The ground-floor storefronts of the building have been changed and some of the window openings have been altered with raised sills. Despite alterations, the building retains much of the original design intent of the Italianate Style adaptation.g) Hass Grocery (Hass and Son Grocery), 122 South 2nd Street, 1890.A two-story commercial building, it has exterior walls of brick with a tin cornice. The window heads of the upper story have been altered and major portions of the south exterior well have been rebuilt. The building is of commercial vernacular design with some detailing of the tin cornice. Jurgen Hass started the grocery in this building in 1890 and the business is still run by the Hass family h) James Hass Property, 118-120 South 2nd Street; 1892.This commercial building has a cast-iron storefront which retains its original appearance. Alterations include glass block as replacement for two-upper-story windows and upper parapet brickwork rebuilding.i) James Hass Property/Congressman Tom Tauke Office, 1892.A two-story brick building of simple lines and design, it has been considerable altered, but the overall massing, materials, and forms of the building are harmonious and compatible with other buildings in the district.j) Kamp Building (G & D Electric compan7), 114 South 2nd Street; c. 1895.The small commercial building has a main façade of brick with tin cornice, tin-clad bay window, and a ground-floor storefront of cast-iron columns, wood, and glass. Except for the addition of a sign panel, the building retains much of its original appearance and integrity.k) Sharon's Beauty Shop, 112 South 2nd Street; 1913.A brick commercial building, it has a main façade comprised of segmented, arched window openings and a tin cornice. The storefront has been "modernized" with vertical wood siding and asphalt-shingled canopy roof. The north wall facing the alley has been stuccoed over.l) Bassler Shoe Shop, 110 South 2nd Street; c. 1874.This is a very small, one-story commercial building of frame construction. It has a gable roof and a false front of wood siding. The south side wall is sided with rolled asphalt. The storefront has new finishes of wood siding and glass. The building was bought in 1912 and remodeled into a shoe shop. The building was moved from across the street to this site in 1919.m) KROS and KSAY Radio Station, 106-108 South 2nd Street; 1908.The brick building houses a radio station. A tin cornice is the most distinguishing characteristic of the commercial vernacular building. Alterations include the modernized ground-floor storefront.n) Horace Anthony Property/Koetter Brothers (Mickel's; Goddard's; Ehlers Tru-Value Hardware), 100-104 South 2nd Street; 1889.A tow-story brick building, it consists of three narrow storefronts. The Ground-floor storefronts are of wood, glass, and cast iron. Additions of signs and sign panels are the major changes from the original appearance of the building.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Architectural Tour of Clinton


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.