Architectural Tour of Clinton

Architectural Tour of Clinton

Clinton, Iowa 52732, United States

Created By: Matt Parbs

Tour Information

This tour is taken from a booklet done in the 1970s. I hope to get all the points correct. Not all of the buildings are still standing, and those no longer there will be deleted over time.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Van Allen Building (Petersen-Harned-Von Maur, Inc.), 200 5th Avenue South; 1913- 1915; Louis Sullivan, Architect, of Chicago; Daniel Haring, Contractor. The Van Allen Building consists of four floors plus basement and attic. The exterior h... Read more
Ankeny Building, 201-211 5th Avenue South; 1930; Harold Holmes, Architect, of Chicago; Daniel Haring, Contractor. Two stories in height, the building street facades are clad with cream-colored terra cotta panels. Upper story windows are st... Read more
Wilson Building (J. C. Penney/Wilson Building), 217 5th Avenue South, 1812-1914; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton; Daniel Haring, Contractor. The building is the tallest one downtown and is a major landmark. The front façade... Read more
1st National Bank (vacant), 226-228 5th Avenue South; 191101912; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton; Daniel Haring, Contractor. This bank building, now vacant, is two stories high and fifty feet wide. The front façade is of dr... Read more
Allen's Tea Room (vacant), 230 5th Avenue South; c. 1870. This vacant commercial building is of brick, with segmented arches at the upper-story window heads. The facade is of simplified Italianate Style. The building is intact except for t... Read more
Jacobsen Building/The Lamb Block & Masonic Temple (F. W. Woolworth/Jacobsen Building), 242-246 5th Avenue South; 1886; Josiah L. Rice, Arhitect, of Clinton. A large, three-story building of red brick with stone "flat-arched" windows. I... Read more
U. S. Post Office, 301 5th Avenue South; 1901-1902; James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, U. S. Treasury Department; Louis Simon, Architect; M. Yeager & Son, Contractor. A large, one and one-half story building, the Post Office is ... Read more
Charles F. Curtis Coach House, (rear) 417 5th Avenue South; c. 1885; Josiah L. Rice, Architect, of Clinton. This is the coach house for the Charles Curtis mansion. It is located at the rear of the wide side yard and east of the mansion. Th... Read more
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
A. G. Smith House (Clinton Manor Nursing Home—vacant), 421 5th Avenue South; 1914-1915; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton; Haring Brothers, Builder. A two-story brick mansion with hip roof, the building was converted to an e... Read more
Oscar Klein House (St. John's Episcopal Church parsonage). 503 5th Avenue South; 1918. A two-story brick house with stone trim, it has a broad, overhanging hip roof. The building has an enclosed one-story "sun porch" on the east and an ent... Read more
H. W. Seaman House (James Hass Apartments), 516 5th Avenue South; 1904; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton; Daniel Haring, Builder. The house makes use of warm-hued brick, terra cotta, store trim, and tiled hip roof. The former... Read more
VFW/Iowa National Guard (Iowa National Guard), 213 6th Avenue South; c. 1947; Walter E. Bort, Architect, of Clinton; Daniel Haring, Contractor. A two-story building approximately 45 feet wide, it is faced with marble. Originally designed f... Read more
Wilcox/George L. Curtis House, 402 6th Avenue South; c. 1869, 1880. A two-story brick house with a to-story wraparound front porch, the building incorporated an earlier structure built in 1869. It was rebuilt in 1880 for the Wilcox family ... Read more
A. F. Hopkins House, 430 7th Avenue South; c. 1886; Josiah L. Roce, Architect, of Clinton. Once a fine residence, the house has been converted to a four-unit apartment building. The building has stone foundation walls, wood siding, upper-s... Read more
Francis Power House, 444 7th Avenue South; c. 1870. The house is of frame construction with foundation walls of stone. It is a good local example of an early adaptation of the Renaissance Revival Style. The wide, overhanging hip roof with ... Read more
Union Iron Works' Iowa Machine Works & Foundry, 106 8th Avenue South; c. 1856. An early brick industrial building, it has a gable roof with a "false front" of a high, stepped parapet for the major, street façade. Engaged brick pilaste... Read more
Public Library, 306 8th Avenue South 1903-1904; Patton & Miller, Architects, of Chicago; Daniel Haring, Builder. A two-story building with basement, the library has exterior walls of cut and dressed limestone. A matching addition to th... Read more
Lafayette Lamb House (YWCA/Gateway YWCA), 317 7th Avenue South; 1877, rebuilt 1906; W. W. Sanborn, Architect, of Clinton; J. C. Clausen, Superintendent of Construction. Built in 1877 with red brick, mansard rood, and turreted tower, the wo... Read more
St. Mary's Church, 520 9th Avenue South; 1884-1888; Josiah L. Rice, Architect, of Clinton. A large church structure of brick with extensive use of stone trim, the building has a simple gable roof, imposing corner tower, and pointed, arched... Read more
St. Mary's Rectory, 516 9th Avenue South; 1896; Josiah L. Rice, architect, of Clinton. A large, two and one-half story rectory, the building has brick exterior walls with stone window lintels. A corner tower with turret and wraparound wood... Read more
C&NW Railroad Station (Old Railroad Station/flea Market), 317 11th Avenue South; 1915-1917. A long, one-story red brick building, it was a railroad passenger station but now houses a flea market. The higher section of the building has ... Read more
First Presbyterian Church, 410 5th Avenue South; 1927-1929; Coolidge & Hodgdon, Architects, of Chicago; Daniel Haring, contractor. A sprawling church complex, the sanctuary "anchors" the corner at the 5th Avenue South-South 4th Street ... Read more
Universalist/Apostolic Church of God/Sacred Heart (Sacred Heart Catholic Church), 316 South 4th Street; c. 1870; W. Pashley, Architect/Builder. Built c. 1870 as a frame structure, the church was extensively remodeled c. 1893. Brick veneer ... Read more
St. John's Episcopal Church, 240 4th Avenue South; 1898; Josiah L. Rice. Architect, of Clinton; John Lake, Builder. The building is constructed of Anomosa limestone with Bedford limestone trim. The interior woodwork is of native red oak. T... Read more
Whitney Merkley House/C. C. Fay House (American Federal Savings & Loan Association), 331 4th Avenue South; 1884. A two and one-half story brick structure with corner turret and wide front porch, the building has been successfully conve... Read more
Johnson/Huston House, 500 4th Avenue South; 1871. This fine residence has a wide, overhanging hip roof. A "widow's walk" atop the roof and original front and side porches have been removed. Although of Italianate Style influence, the house... Read more
Ed J. Kreiger Apartments (Dalton/Proffer/Krueger Apartments), 503-505 3rd Avenue South; 1919; Ed Krieger, Contractor. A large, rectilinear building with broad, overhanging hip roof and arched window openings, it has exterior wall surfaces ... Read more
Leander Sisco House, 505 10th Avenue South; c. 1868. This two-story brick house is hip-roofed with soffit brackets. Windows with arched "eyebrows" and quoined corners are other distinguishing features. The broad front porch is a later addi... Read more
Edward Andrew House, 535 10th Avenue South; 1867; Polk and Bacon, Builders. A frame house with wood lap siding and gable roof of asphalt shingles, it is well- maintained with integrity. The house is of simple vernacular construction with s... Read more
Weston House (Snodgrass/Utroska Property), 538-540 10th Avenue South; c. 1869. A two and one-half story house, it is of frame construction has mansard roofs. Alterations include; conversion to apartments, re-siding, porch reconstruction, a... Read more
Messer House (Long/Teachout Property), 550 10th Avenue South; c. 1858. Now converted to apartments, the house is two stories high with attic and gable roof. The front wraparound porch is a later addition with the eave work probably altered... Read more
Henry Gerhart Property (Carstensen Storage Warehouse), 516-519 South 1st Street; c. 1855. Originally a three-story brick commercial building, it unfortunately has had additions of the fourth story and an expansion to the north. The ground-... Read more
Memorial Flag Pole, Riverview Park—East end of 5th Avenue south at river Levee; 1930; Leonard Crunelle, Sculptor; Cast by A. M. Art Bronze Foundry, Jules Berchem & Son, Chicago. The Memorial Flag Pole has a sculptured base of cast br... Read more
Lighthouses, Riverview Park at River Levee; c. 1935; Leo P. Hannager, Designer; WPA, Builder. Three decorative towers, with the appearance of lighthouses, stand on the levee and mark the edge of the Mississippi River. Each tower is octagon... Read more
Municipal Swimming Pool, Riverview Park; 1929; Walter E, Bort, Architect, of Clinton; Clinton Engineering Company, Contractor. When built, the pool cost $90,000 and was the largest swimming pool in the midwest at that time. The bathouse is... Read more
Moeszinger-Marquis Hardware Company (C. E. Armstrong & Sons), 721 South 2nd Street; 1912; Josiah L. Rice, Architect, of Clinton. A massive three-story brick warehouse, it was an addition to an original five-bay building adjacent on the... Read more
Jen's Tap and Kurtz Glass 706-710 South 2nd Street; 1969. The upper story of each store is brick (the north bay has been painted) with cast iron window "lintels" and tin cornice. Except for the altered ground floors, the buildings are good... Read more
RJS Electronics/Golden Horse Tavern/The Corner Tavern 700-704 South 2ndt street; 1869. These three parcels of storefronts comprise one brick building that is two stories high. The parapet has a pattern of corbeled brick. The ground-floor s... Read more
Clinton National Bank (Henry's/Reynold's Lounge),518-522 South 2nd Street; 1868. A three-story commercial building, the structure is of brick; however, 23 feet of façade on the corner is clad in stone. The ground-floor columns are of cast... Read more
Casa Duran Restaurant 516 South 2nd Street; c. 1868. A small commercial building of two stories, it has brick walls with arched second Floor windows. A projecting cornice and intricate brickwork ornament the upper Story, while the ground f... Read more
Charles Koons' Building/Snow White Drug Store (Vogue), 512 South 2nd Street; c. 1919. A small commercial building of two stories in height, the walls of the structure are of Brick. The front façade utilizes white glazed face brick punctua... Read more
Donlan-Redden Company (vacant/Old Montgomery Ward), 503-511 South 2nd Street; 1914; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton; Daniel Haring, Builder. This building is a two-story commercial building with skeletal framing clad over wi... Read more
Howes Block (Line's Department Store), 419-425 South 2nd Street; 1900; John Lake, Builder. A large, four-story commercial building, the exterior street facades of the building are of red face brick with decorative accents of red terra cott... Read more
Pahl Building (Chris S. Martensen Building), 402-406 south 2nd Street; c. 1916; Gus Ladehoff, Builder (and also, Designer). This building is two stories high with a street façade of white glazed terra cotta. Exuberant ornamentation of whi... Read more
Roehl/Phillips Furniture, 308 South 2nd Street; rebuilt 1960; Phil Feddersen, Architect, of Clinton. The front façade of face brick is relieved by two vertical strip of louvers. Integrated into these strips are casement windows with coppe... Read more
C&NW Railroad Freight Station (Old C&NW Freight House/Bennett Box Pallet Company), 823 South 3rd Street; 1917; Haring Bros., Contractor. Built as a freight house for the C&NW railroad, the building is now used as a warehouse. T... Read more
First United Methodist Church, 621 South 3rd Street; 1902-1903; Sidney J. Osgood of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Architect; John Lake & Son, Builder. This brick church has a stone watertable and terra cotta string courses; the arch framing ... Read more
First Nation Bank, 405 South 3rd Street; 1975-76; Expression Inc. with Phil Feddersen, Associated Architects. A modern bank building, it is built of concrete with glass and concrete block exterior surfaces. The concrete block has a "cordur... Read more
1st Baptist Church/Norwegian & Danish church/Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints (Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints). 311 South 3rd Street; 1958. A small, frame, one-story church, it has a new foundation of concrete blocks.... Read more
Bethel A. M. E. Church, 303 South 3rd Street; 1884 The building was erected on land deeded by the Iowa Land Company. The building is a one-story brick church with basement. In the early 1900's, the church superstructure was jacked up and a... Read more
Henry Property (The Fun House), 814 South 4th Street; c. 1888. The brick commercial building has an ornate tin cornice and a reasonably intact ground- floor storefront of cast iron columns, sheet tin, and wood. The second-floor windows at ... Read more
Nickel and Paddock Property (Thomas Burnett Property and Carroll Johnson Property), 800-804 South 4th Street. The exterior walls of the building are of brick with a rich, red brick used as the predominant color, in contrast to the buff-col... Read more
1st Baptist Church, 620 South 4th Street; 1870 and 1887; Josiah L. Rice, Architect, of Clinton. Originally built in 1870, the building was badly damaged by fire on July 27, 1887. The exterior brick walls were left standing and were retaine... Read more
Clinton High School/Roosevelt School (School District Offices-Board of Education), 600 South 4th Street; 1888-1889; Josiah L. Rice, Architect, of Clinton. A large, two and one-half story building, it has a stone foundation and exterior wal... Read more
Zion Evangelical/Evangelical United Brethren Church (Clinton Head Start Center), 300 South 4th Street; 1873. A frame church with gable roof and centrally located tower and entry. The building retains use of wood siding and wood details. Ex... Read more
Mt. Pleasant Park/Mississippi Valley Spiritualist Association; Mt. Pleasant Park (access from South Bluff Boulevard); 1882. A large tract with many small cottages of various styles, materials, and ages, the property if the home of the Miss... Read more
H. A. Kelly House (B. C. Hass Apartments), 740 5th Avenue South; 1910; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton. This is a three-story brick house with a hip roof. Except for the porch railing and steps, the exterior appearance is mu... Read more
Sherman Seaman House/ W. H. Roehl House, 746 5th Avenue South; 1909. A two-story stucco house with wood trim, the building is irregular in plan. It has a hip roof of wide, over-hanging eaves with a flat soffit of wood, and a large, full-wi... Read more
T. J. Hudson House, 823 5th Avenue South; 1914; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton. A two-story stucco house with hip roof. It has a full-width front porch and also a side entry porch. The house exhibits many of the principles ... Read more
Fred Van Allen House (Halsrud Apartments), 844 5th Avenue South; 1911; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton. A large, three-story house, it has exterior materials of stucco, wood trim, and tile-clad hip roof. The house has been c... Read more
A. Walsh House, 915 5th Avenue South; 1893-1897; g. L. LeVeille, Builder (first contractor). A large, two and one-half story house, it now has been converted to multi-family use. The house design epitomizes the exuberance of the Queen Anne... Read more
Washington Junior High School (Washington Middle School), 751 2nd Avenue South; 1933-1935; Karl Keffer & Earl E. Jones, Architects, of Des Moines with A. H. Morrell, Associate Architect; Ringland-Johnson Company, Contractor. A large, t... Read more
Mullet House, 726 9th Avenue South; c. 1870. The two-story brick house has a simple gable roof and bay window on the west at the ground floor. Now converted to a three-apartment building, the structure's exterior revisions include the porc... Read more
John Deolin House (Farwell Realty Property), 715 10th Avenue South; 1914. The house is a builder's interpretation of the Prairie School Style. Prairie School influences include the use of stucco, and a horizontal emphasis by use of wood st... Read more
George C. Smith House, 636 11th Avenue South; 1873. This brick house, now converted to apartments, is two stories high and has a tower. Alterations include removal of the original shutters, removal of the front porch, and construction of a... Read more
Walter E. Bort's Stone Tower Studio, 722-732 South 12th Street; c. 1923 through 1953; Walter Bort, Architect, of Clinton. The complex occupies about one-half acre in a built-up residential area not very far from downtown. The grounds are b... Read more
George T. Smith House, 700 South Bluff Boulevard; c, 1914- 1917. A one and one-half story wood bungalow on a wooded site, the building has gable roofs with a hipped-roof front porch. There are soffit brackets at the gable ends of the roof ... Read more
Agatha Hospital ("Old" Jane Lamb Hospital), 638 South Bluff Boulevard; 1923; Schmidt, Garden & Martin, Architects, of Chicago; Haring Bros., contractor. This hospital building, built in 1923, prompted the change in name from Agatha Hos... Read more
John New/ C. Aikin House, 325 South Bluff Boulevard; c. 1837. A one-story house with basement, the structure if os local limestone. The roof is hipped and one wing has a gable roof. Roofing is now of asphalt shingles instead of original wo... Read more
Dr. J. B Charlton House/George W. Dulay House/C. A. Armstrong House, 1100 Woodlawn; 1910; John Morrell & Son, Architects, of Clinton. A one-story bungalow of dark brown wood siding with white trim, it has a hip roof and a gable-roofed ... Read more
Eugene J. Curtis House, Hillcrest Street; 1921; Trowbridge & Ackerman, Architects, of Boston, Massachusetts; Haring Bros., Contractors. This two-story "country" house has a steeply pitched hip roof with dormers. The first- Floor exteri... Read more
Curtis Stables/Harold Kirck House, 5 Heather Lane; 1921 and 1969. Built in 1921 as a stable for the Curtis families, the building was converted to a house in 1968. "L-shape" in plan, the house has two wings which radiate from a centralized... Read more
Brice Oakley Home, 1 Heather Lane; 1970; Al Mugasis of Prout, Mugasis and Johnson, Architects, of Clinton; Vald Kristensen & Sons, Builder. This is a long, low, one-story building with clerestory and shed roofs. The exterior materials ... Read more
Riverview Stadium, 6th Avenue North and Riverview Park; 1936-1937; A. H. Morrell, Architect, of Clinton; WPA, Builder with Fred N. Grumstrup, Superintendent of Construction. The exterior of the stadium is attractively designed with a patte... Read more
Omar (Rhododendron Show Boat), Riverview Park-River Levee; 1936. The Omar was a coal-fired towboat that operated on the Ohio River. The West Virginia Centennial Commission purchased the boat and renovated it. A 250-seat theater was ceated ... Read more
St. Patrick's Catholic Church, 240 4th Avenue North; 1905. The church is constructed of Gladbrook red pressed brick for the exterior walls with Portage Entry red sand-stone trim and watertable. The foundation is of sawed Bedford stone and ... Read more
St. Patrick's Rectory, 238 4th Avenue North; 1905; built at the same time and of the same materials as the adjacent church to the west, the rectory utilizes red face brick with red sandstone trim and Bedford stone for the foundation. The r... Read more
Clinton County Court House, 612 North 2nd Street; 1892-1897; G. Stanley Mansfield, Architect, of Freeport, Illinois and Josiah L. Rice, Supervising Architect, of Clinton. The County Court House if a landmark building of three stories with ... Read more
Clinton County Court House, 612 North 2nd Street; 1892-1897; G. Stanley Mansfield, Architect, of Freeport, Illinois and Josiah L. Rice, Supervising Architect, of Clinton. The County Court House if a landmark building of three stories with ... Read more
Schall's Candy Company (Hagge Building/Valley Pattern Broadcasting-KLNT/KLNQ), 501 North 2nd Street; 1917; Haring Bros., Contractors. A large, two and one-half story building, it was built as the office and factory for the Shall'' Candy Co... Read more
Hawthorne School, 10th avenue North at North 3rd Street; 1898. The brick building is a good example of the simplified and more modern approach to school design that was evolving at that time from the direction indicated by the Romanesque S... Read more
Iten Biscuit Company (W. Atlee Burpee Company of Philadelphia), 615-619 North 2nd Street; 1905. A large, three-story industrial/warehouse and office building, it has exterior walls of brick. The brick is a light buff color and was manufact... Read more
Mt. St. Clare Jr. College/Sisters of St. Francis (Mt. St. Clare Jr. College), 400 North Bluff Boulevard; 1910-1911; J. B. McGorrick, Architect, of Des Moines; Lightner Bros., Builder. The main building was opened in September of 1911 as a ... Read more
Dorothea A. McGauvran House, 405 Oakhurst Drive; 1963; Phil Feddersen, Architect, of Clinton. The building is a one-story rambling house of brick and wood. It is of modern design, inspired by the later "Usonian" designs of Frank Lloyd Wrig... Read more
Dwight Lamb House, 453 Woodlands Drive; c. 1887 (re-located 1902). A 26-room mansion of frame construction, it was moved in 1902 by Crowe Brothers of Chicago, building moving contactors, from a site at 6th Avenue South and South 5th Street... Read more
Robert E. Evans House, 551 Woodlands Drive; 1974-1976; William Nowysc, Architect, of Iowa City, Iowa; Fuller Brothers Construction, Contractors. The house consists of two wings with a "lantern" that marks their intersection. Retaining wall... Read more
Marvin J. Gates House (Oakhurst Apartments; Oakhurst East), 500 Oakhurst Drive; 1902-1903. A large mansion, it had cinder stucco exterior wall finish and red tile roofs. Converted to eleven dwelling units in 1865 by the Clinton Investment ... Read more
Russell B. McCoy/D. D. Collis House (Breezy Point Manor), 520 Breezy Point Drive; 1903. The house is an excellent adaptation of Tudor Gothic Style. The rambling mansion was the focus of Russell B. McCoy's 100 acre estate. Although the mans... Read more
Russell B. McCoy Stable House (Breezy Point), 520 Oakhurst at Breezy Point; 1903. Originally the stable house of the Russell B. McCoy estate, the large building was converted to apartment use in the late 1930's to a design by Walter E. Bor... Read more
Stumbaugh & McPherson Warehouse/M. A. Disbrow Warehouse (Dale Bott Trucking, Inc. Warehouse), 2115 Grant Street; c. 1845. Located on the riverfront, the building is of native limestone laid in uncoursed rubble pattern. The openings in ... Read more
Philip Deeds Property/David Joyce Property, 2202 McKinley Street; c. 1860. A two-story brick house with basement, it has a gable roof with a chimney at each end gable. A full-width front porch has been replaced with a small entry porch. Wi... Read more
George Leedham/Sarah Boardman House (Douglas Bennett Rental Property), 2119 Garfield Street; 1888; Josiah L. Rice, Architect, of Clinton. The frame house is an excellent Clinton example of the Eastlake Style. Only the awnings on the front ... Read more
Michael Williams House, 2208 Garfield Street; c. 1898; Josiah L. Rice, Architect, of Clinton. This is a large, two and one-half story frame house with a basement and stone foundation walls. The roof gables have pent roofs and scallop shing... Read more
Willis L. Parker House/Thomas Leedham House, 2209 Garfield Street; 1959; J. Kingsten, Architect; John Sanford, Builder. This two-story house is built with two kinds of brick-red brick for the walls and buff brick for the corner quoins, win... Read more
George Conley House, 2211 Garfield Street; 1869; A two-story frame house, it has wood window caps, roof brackets, and hip roof. A wraparound porch is an addition, the house is of simplified Renaissance Revival Style.
James Hazlett House, 2216 Garfield Street; 1860. Distinguishing architectural characteristics include; pairs of brackets at the roof soffits, segmented arched windows, corner pilasters of brick, and projecting window sills with brackets. T... Read more
Robert Rand House, 2219 Garfield Street; 1867. The house is of simple vernacular style with some evidence of style influence of the Italianate and the earlier Federal Styles. Built for a banker, the house has a good sense of human scale an... Read more
Dennis Warren House, 224 Garfield Street; 1874-1875. This house has two storied. Stucco over stone foundation, brick walls, gable roof, and segmented arch windows. Alterations appear to include rebuilt eaves and porch replacement with a sm... Read more
James H. Barum/Caleb B. McDowell House, 2113 Roosevelt Street; c. 1865; J. H. Barnum, Builder. The building is a good example of an early brick vernacular house modified and enhanced with later Queen Anne Style additions. J. H. Barnum, an ... Read more
John Dierks/Meta Nacre House, 2228 Roosevelt Street; 1926. This is a bungalow with brick veneer and wood shingle wall surfaces. The gable roofs have wide overhangs with exposed rafters and brackets reminiscent of "Stick" Style. The house, ... Read more
Grace Episcopal Church, 2100 North 2nd Street; 1856. The church has a corner tower and gable roof (now with asphalt shingles). The exterior bearing walls are of local quarry-faced limestone with dressed stone for the quoins at the corners.... Read more
Lyons United Methodist church, 2118 North 2nd Street; 1983. The church building, of brick with stone trim, is an example of Romanesque Style design. The front façade was the result of an 1893 reconstruction after a fire on October 23, 189... Read more
W. W. Sanborn House, 2203 North 2nd Street; 1869; W. W. Sanborn, Architect, of Clinton. The first residence of W. W. Sanborn in Lyons, it is a small, one and one-half story frame cottage. It has stone foundation walls and gable roof with b... Read more
Polly D. Ball House//David Batchelder House (Camelot Restaurant), 2204 North 2nd Street; 1866. Well-preserved, the house is an excellent example of Italianate Style. David Batchelder, a lumber baron, bought the house in 1881 for $9000. Of ... Read more
Schneider Property, 2234 Pershing Boulevard; 1882.The house is a transitional design that combines aesthetics from several styles that were popular in the 1880's. The "Stick Style" seems most pervasive with upper-story wall surfaces of hori... Read more
Lyons Female College/Our Lady of Angels Seminary (North Side Church of God), 407 22nd Avenue North; 1858. With spacious grounds and beautiful siting, the complex is an excellent example of early academic architecture in Iowa. The original ... Read more
Philip Roe House, 1604 North 3rd Street; c. 1874.This is a two-story frame house with a low-pitched gable roof and a wraparound front porch. The house was probably moved to this location about 1874 and the porch added at that time. The hous... Read more
William Joyce House/Beatric C. Joyce, 181 North 3rd Street; 1887. A large house of frame construction with stone foundation, it has a variety of roof forms, dormers, and turrets. An engaged round tower with conical rood anchors the northea... Read more
Judge Aylett R. Cotton House, 316 18th Avenue North; 1853. Except for the roof, the house is a good example of Gothic Revival Style. The design is sometimes called Steamboat Gothic because of the exuberance exhibited with wood ornamentatio... Read more
William Holmes House/Art Holmes House, 1510 North 4th Street; c. 1873. A two-story frame house, it has gable roofs and a tower (addition), with a mansard roof of convex slope. The tower has roof brackets, a rosette window, and an entry doo... Read more
William Lyall House, 516 22nd Avenue North; 1854. A two-story brick house with hip roof, it has a one-story, gable-roofed or brick wing and porch added on the east. An attached summer kitchen to the rear has been removed and the front porc... Read more
M. A. Disbrow & Company Office (Knight of Columbus), 2301 McKinley Street; 1878. A two-story, brick veneer building, it has engaged pilasters and segmented arched window openings. Alterations include a wood vestibule on the front faça... Read more
Lyons High School (Nee-Hi Hall), 96 Main Avenue; 1905. A two and on-half story school building with attic, the structure's exterior is of brick and stone. Of eclectic design, the building is derived from Second Renaissance and Georgian Rev... Read more
Iowa State Savings Bank, 122 Main Avenue; 1914; Harry R. Harbeck, Architect, From Illinois. This two-story bank building is of brick with terra cotta ornamentation and cut stone water table. In 1931, an expansion of the bank was undertaken... Read more
Buell Block, 200 Main Avenue; 1890-1891. This is a large, two-story commercial building of brick with ornate tin cornice. The ground floor store-front has been modernized. Upper-story windows have been replaced and panels installed above t... Read more
Hazlett & Durlin Coal and Wood Dealers (McEleney Motors Storage), 2410 Harding; c. 1858. Built on the riverfront, the warehouse is a good example of brick vernacular construction. The corbeled brickwork at the eave suggests an influenc... Read more
Nora Albright House, 2521 McKinley Street; c. 1855. A rare Clinton example of early Greek Revival Style, the cottage, despite inappropriate siding and alterations, retains many of the Greek Revival characteristics. The small, frame cottage... Read more
Christian Moeszinger House, 2424 Garfield Street; c. 1855. A house of frame construction, it has a gable roof with eave returns and a central front porch. A balcony railing on the porch roof has been removed and additions to the rear have ... Read more
Henry Krough Property (Campbell & Jacobsen Property), 109 25th Avenue North; c. 1860. Two storied high with basement and attic, the brick building has a gable roof with asphalt shingles. Stucco has been used to cover the basement walls... Read more
H. E. Gates House/Ezra Baldwin House, 2714 Roosevelt Street; 1865. A small brick house, it has a hip roof with soffit brackets. The rear, two-room addition and porch were added c. 1880. The entry door has been rebuilt and widened, and the ... Read more
Pennsylvania House/Washington House, 2425-2433 North 2nd Street/ 121-123 25th Avenue North; c. 1855. Sited on a corner lot tight to the streets, the building is an example of vernacular design and brick construction, as well as an illustra... Read more
William Leedham House, 2502 North 2nd Street; 1854. A one and one-half story house of frame construction, it has been expanded with additions to the rear and south (all in the nineteenth century). The house is a good example of early frame... Read more
Silas Gardiner House, 2700 North 2nd Street; c. 1880. A large, frame house of eclectic design, it was the home of Silas Gardiner, one of the lumber barons of Lyons and Clinton. The house has influences of the Queen Anne and Tudor Gothic St... Read more
Carney House, 2730 North 2nd Street' 1857 and 1869. The house is a good example of Italianate Style design adapted to frame construction. It has first-floor windows with arched wood caps and second-floor stylized window caps. The house inc... Read more
Justus Lund House, 2804 North 2nd Street; 1895. The house is a handsome eclectic design, strongly influenced by Queen Anne Style. A large, frame house with full attic and gable roofs, it has a wraparound front porch with circular corner. T... Read more
St. Irenaeus Catholic Church, 2811 North 2nd Street; 1864-1865. Sited on a hillside, the church is of landmark stature. It is an exceptional example of Local limestone construction and design using Gothic Revival Style. The building Is con... Read more
Lamb Boat and Engine Company/Climax Company/ Climax Engine & Pump Company (Waukesha Clinton Plant of Dresser Industries, Inc.), 1812 South 4th Street; 1901. Some of the brick buildings of the plant date back to the early 20th century. ... Read more
C &NW Railroad Car Shops, 1501 Camanche Avenue; c. 1910. The Chicago and Northwestern Railroad car shops form a major industrial complex in Clinton. This location was developed about 1910. Earlier car shops (located near 8th Avenue Sou... Read more
Clinton Country Club, 1501 Harrison Drive; 1922. Although altered considerably through expansions, the clubhouse is still a handsome, sprawling building that, because of the wood trim panelization of the stucco-covered gables and walls, ta... Read more
Wartburg College (Glendale Apartments), 1900 Glendale Road; 1893-1894. Wartburg College, a Lutheran school founded in 1868, developed a major campus in Clinton in 1893. H. W. Seaman of Clinton and the Reverend O. Hartman, pastor of a local... Read more
Cotta Haus ("Drews Cotta Haus"), 1850 Glendale Road; 1922-1923. A two and one-half story brick building, it was built as a dormitory for Wartburg College, but has been converted to an apartment house with nineteen units. The building is a ... Read more
William Thomas House ("Old Stone House"). 850 South Bluff Boulevard; 1838. The house is the second oldest (some say it is the oldest) structure still standing in Clinton. It is of vernacular construction with modern, recent-day additions, ... Read more
Judge Chase House/Mt. St. Clair/Mt. Alverno (Jannan Apartment), 262 North Bluff Boulevard; 1859 and 1869. The building is a good local example of the Second Empire Style. Built in 1869 as the house for Judge C. W. Chase, it incorporated an... Read more
W. J. Young Tomb, Springdale Cemetery; 1896. The design of the tomb utilizes the Romanesque Style and makes a simple but powerful architectural statement. As W. J. Young's mansion has been torn down for a super market site, the tomb is a s... Read more
"Old Stage Coach Stop"/First and Last Tavern (Charles Horner Property), 1337 Main Avenue; c. 1848. The building is an example of indigenous construction for its locality and historic period. It formerly was a tavern and is said to have bee... Read more
Dr. A. L. Ankeny House/Lindmeier ("Cherrybank"), 1720 Main Avenue; 1870-1871; Dennis Warren, Builder. Two stories high, the building has walls of red brick with buff0colored brick used for quoins at the corners and for the window arches. A... Read more
Castle Terrace District, Terrance Drive and Caroline Avenue; c. 1926; Curtis Company Service Bureau with E. E. Green, Architect-in-Charge. Originally platted in 1892, the Castle Terrace district was developed about 1926 by the Curtis Servi... Read more
Vandiren House, 3800 Lakewood Drive; 1961; Phil Feddersen, Architect, of Clinton.The one-story house had a hip roof and walls of squared stone masonry and wood. The design of the house is based on Frank Lloyd Wright's modern house designs c... Read more
Old Curtis Property, 2nd Street South at 12th Avenue South; c. 1878. This was the office building for Curtis Brothers and Company in the late nineteenth century. The Curtis Company, manufacturers of wood sash and doors, was founded in 1866... Read more
C. Lamb & Sons Office Building/Eclipse Lumber Company, 1104-1106 South 2nd Street; 1879; W. W. Sanborn, Architect, of Clinton. The building has exterior walls of stucco over masonry. Severely altered, the building's only remaining hist... Read more
Buell Property/Mary Eaton House, 2602 North 3rd Street; 1849 and 1859. The handsome brick structure, simple in composition and execution, perhaps can best be called vernacular design, although there is a suggestion of both the Federal and ... Read more
Lyons Presbyterian Church/St. Bonifacius Romische Katolische Kirche (St. Boniface Hall), 2518 Pershing Boulevard; 1858. The building was an excellent example of Romanesque Style. Built as a Presbyterian church in 1858, the building was acq... Read more
St. Boniface Rectory, 2516 Pershing Boulevard; 1873 A two-story rectory, it has a hip roof topped by a "widow's walk" with decorative wrought iron railing. The eaves have soffit brackets. The brickwork is of two colors-red and cream. The l... Read more
St. Boniface Catholic Church, 2500 Pershing Boulevard; 1908; Martin Heer, Architect, of Dubuque, Iowa; Anton Zwack, Contractor, of Dubuque. A large church, it is 56 feet wide,, 116 feet long and has 124-foot high twin towers on the front t... Read more
George Fahey House (Carl M. Bengston House) and John Fahey House, 2424 and 1430 Pershing Boulevard; 1881. These two brick houses mirror each other in composition. They are identical in original design except that the plans are reversed. Al... Read more
William Black House/ M. D. Madden House, 265 33rd Avenue North; 1873; William Black, Builder. This frame house of Gothic Revival Style crowns the top of the hill at the end of North Second Street. A reservoir of the water company in Lyons ... Read more
Gardiner, Batchelder & Welles Lumber Company, 86 31st Avenue North; 1880 A one and one-half story building, it has stone foundations and brick walls with stone trim. The original porch was replaced by the present small one. Most of the... Read more
John Tolson House, 3001 Garfield Street; 1849. A small, one and one-half story house, it is an example of early vernacular architecture in Lyons. The original construction was of one room with loft. Additions to the north and east expanded... Read more
Ceddy House, 92 28th Avenue North; 1869. This small, frame house is a rare Clinton example of Egyptian Revival Style. The first- floor window enframements that narrow upward are the most obvious features of the original style. The house ha... Read more
Schick General Hospital, Department of Army (Root Park/The Village), 25th Avenue North at 5th and 6th Streets; 1942-1943; U. S. Army Corps of Engineers. This is a large acreage that contains row upon row of two-story, brick, barracks-like ... Read more
CB&Q Railroad Freight Depot, 10th Avenue South at South 2nd Street; c. 1885. Used as a railroad freight depot, it is now vacant and abandoned.  The building has stone foundation walls, brick superstructure, and bracketed gable roof.  ... Read more
C&NW Railroad Bridge, C&NW Railroad right-of-way and the Mississippi River; 1909.This is a double-tracked railroad swing bridge with steel trusses spanning between stone piers. There is a swing section adjacent to the Iowa shore to... Read more
Karl Broman House, 8th Street NW, RR 3; 1839. The house is an example of vernacular construction of the early settlement period in Clinton and Lyons. It is a two-story masonry building covered over with stucco and has a low-pitched gable r... Read more
Stone Lookout Tower, Eagle Point Park; 1937; WPA. This stone lookout tower is circular in plan. Lancet windows pierce the outside wall to permit natural light into the winding stair on the interior. Designed and built by WPA, the tower is ... Read more
Footbridge-Eagle Point Park, Eagle Point Park , Eagle Point Park; c. 1913 and c. 1935; WPA Spanning a small ravine, the footbridge is built of local limestone in an uncoursed rubble pattern. The walking surface is concrete. The footbridge,... Read more
Lodge-Joyce's Park (Lodge-Eagle Point Park), Eagle Point Park; c. 1913 and c 1935; WPA rebuilt c. 1935. Originally built as a pavilion for Joyce's Park, the building had an arcade around the perimeter. The building was completely rebuilt a... Read more
100 BLOCK OF SOUTH 4TH STREET The west side of the 100 block of South 4th Street is a built-up frontage, tight to the street, that is an example of late nineteenth-and early twentieth-century commercial architecture. The integrity of the w... Read more
900 and 1000 BLOCK OF SOUTH 4TH STREET Approximately one and one-half blocks of the west side of South 4th Street (from addresses 914 through 1020) comprise a continuous frontage of architecturally significant commercial buildings. All exc... Read more
100-200 BLOCKS OF SOUTH 2ND STREET The west side of South 2nd Street has two, block-long frontages of late nineteenth- century and early twentieth-century commercial structures. The buildings are of brick and are two stories high, except f... Read more
400 BLOCK OF NORTH 2ND STREET Although not a district in the usual sense, four buildings on the west side of the 400 block of North 2nd Street define a unified commercial frontage of period architecture. These buildings are identified as n... Read more
MAIN AVENUE Main Avenue, east of North 3rd Street, is the shopping and commercial center for the Lyons area. It once was the major downtown street for the town of Lyons but now fills a neighborhood convenience/service function. A one and o... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to