Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
Dating from 1887, this is an outstanding example of the Queen Anne style. This style is typified by the steeply pitched pattered slate roof, the dominant front facing gable with decorative attic window, the overhanging eaves with exposed rafter tails, the asymmetrical façades, the staggered shingles, the mixture of smooth red brick and rough grey stone and full width porch.
This high style house was built for Dr William Bartles, a successful physician, specializing in mental health, who served in the Union army in the Civil War as assistant surgeon general. He was involved in many local activities, becoming a director of the County Bank (see 5) and in his will he bequeathed the funds for the library adjacent to the Deats building (see 3).
He was the son of Charles Bartles who was a boarder from 1822 at the house of attorney William Maxwell that previously stood on this spot (see 17). In time, under Maxwells guidance, Charles Bartles became a very successful local attorney and businessman. He was involved in many of Flemington’s successful businesses including the County Bank, Gas Works, Water Works, and Railroads and eventually purchased Maxwell’s property.
Later owners included Dr Bartles grandnephew, Dr William Bartles Hawke, who was living in the house when ground was broken for the library in 1910.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Flemington Historic Walking Tour - Main Street North