Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
Dating from 1846, this is a beautifully restored example of a middle-class house in the Greek Revival style. Notice its simplicity compared to the Reading Large mansion across the street, also designed by Mahlon Fisher. The almost flat roof cannot be seen, the façade is dominated by a portico of four-square paneled Doric columns and a tall cornice with cast-iron attic windows. The plain single-panel cherry wood front door is surrounded by elaborate columns and a deep-set transom window. The yellow and white color scheme is very typical of the Greek Revival, which sought to make wood buildings resemble stone.
Over the years this historic house has served a variety of purposes. Designed and built by Mahlon Fisher as his own family’s home, it later became a barbershop. In later years it was used as a restaurant and Sunday school before, in 1969, the Hunterdon County Historical Society bought it, restored it and has maintained it ever since.
It now houses the largest collection of books, genealogies, photographs, maps, newspapers, letters and local histories open to the public in Hunterdon County, including over 3000 documents from Hiram E Deats (see 3).
This point of interest is part of the tour: Flemington Historic Walking Tour - Main Street North