Created By: City of Loveland Historic Preservation Commission
(Known as Lincoln Hotel)
When the First United Presbyterian Church (originally at this site) was razed, a consortium of Loveland businessmen planned a large commercial enterprise for this piece of prime real estate. Contractor W.J. McCord oversaw construction of the three-story Union Block in 1905. Modillions and decorative scroll-work extend the full length of its façade; rosette tie rods divide the first and second stories; traditional transoms top the entryways; and corbels brace the cornice line.
After the first tenant, the State Mercantile Company, relocated, F. Emery Freeman purchased the building and hired Denver architect Frank S. Snell to remodel the upper floors into the elegant Lincoln Hotel—which operated into the 1950s. Among the longest running businesses at this site was a drug store, circa 1917 to the 1970s. Current usage includes retail and apartment spaces.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Loveland Walking Tour: Commercial Loop
Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.