Historic Loveland Walking Tour: Commercial Loop

Explore the history and commercial architecture of Loveland, CO!

Historic Loveland Walking Tour: Commercial Loop

Loveland, Colorado 80537, United States

Created By: City of Loveland Historic Preservation Commission

Tour Information

The Commercial Loop is approximately a 1.35 mile walk and starts in south downtown. The route runs north along East 4th Street up North Cleveland Avenue, back to East 4th Street and then loops around to the Civic Center - much of the route is through a designated area on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Historic Preservation Commission in partnership with the Loveland Museum/Gallery, the Loveland Historical Society, and other local preservationists, headed up this historic walking tour to feature Historic Loveland.


Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Downtown Loveland was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic District in 2015 by the National Park Service. The District, centered on East 4th Street and roughly bounded by Railroad and Jefferson Avenue in... Read more
When he purchased the Farmers Milling and Elevator in 1893, Lee J. Kelim installed equipment to produce electricity for the mill. The coal-fired steam boiler produced more electricity than milling operations required, allowing him to sell t... Read more
(Known as Loveland Feed and Grain)  This historic flour mill represents Loveland’s oldest industry and is the only structure in Loveland made of stone, brick, wood, and corrugated sheet metal. The mill was constructed in 1891 as the Love... Read more
The Loveland Colorado & Southern Railway Depot was constructed in 1902 to replace the aging Colorado Central Depot located immediately to the south. Brick from the old depot served as pavers along thesides of the new depot. The impressi... Read more
(Known as Elks Lodge and Plaza Apartments) The Lovelander Hotel was erected in 1912-13, replacing an aging wood frame hotel—The Loveland House—which had been in this location since 1878. After a $40,000 remodel in the summer of 1913, th... Read more
Constructed in the late 1880’s, this property began as Benton R. Bonnell’s General Merchandise Store. In 1907, Mr. Bonnell sold the store to his son who continued to operate the business until 1928, when he opened a Buick dealership at ... Read more
Completed in 1878, the Herziner & Harter Building was Loveland’s first brick commercial structure. It was owned by John Lewis Herzinger and Samuel B. Harter. Arriving in Loveland in 1877, the two businessmen purchased a corner lot in ... Read more
(Known as Pulliam Community Building)  Constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938, this 20,000-square-foot building boasts 13”-thick concrete walls and a Lamella truss (open-span) roof. D. T. Pulliam and his wife Lill... Read more
The Loveland Post Office and Federal Building was constructed in 1936-1937. The dedication ceremony for this Art Modern-style edifice occurred on July 15, 1937. In February 1947, Loveland’s Valentine Re mailing Program began in the Lovela... Read more
Built in 1920-1921, this one-story commercial building occupies half of a city block. As early as 1906, the home of the Lucas and Nettie Brandt family was situated on the site. Mr. Brandt served as Mayor in 1894 and later as manager of the ... Read more
This two-story, brick commercial building was erected in 1905, apparently to house Loveland’s early telephone exchange. By the end of 1906, a total of 504 telephones in the Loveland vicinity were connected to the exchange. The phone compa... Read more
This stately Classic Revival-style building was erected in 1928 to house the First National Bank. When it opened its doors on Nov. 10, 1928, the bank was managed by President Hugh Scilley and Vice Presidents D.T. Pulliam and Adolph Donath. ... Read more
In 1910 the Brannan Brothers Jewelry store, at 239 East Fourth Street, installed this two faced street clock. It was manufactured by the Brown Street Clock Company of Monessen, Pennsylvania. The clock’s original movement, sign and faces h... Read more
Work started on the Larimer County Bank in 1890; it opened in February of the following year. Built out of pressed brick from Boulder, the structure had distinctive sandstone trim over its windows and doors. The corner entrance was typical ... Read more
In business since 1912, Loveland Steam Laundry has been at this location from 1918 to the present. The laundry has been owned by the Wellman-Farnham family throughout its entire history. The tin front building at 413 East 4th Street was bui... Read more
First pastored by C.G. Zipf, this gabled structure has served continuously as a church for more than a century. Built around 1909 in the Carpenter Gothic style, it features a three-story bell tower sided with gothic-arched windows, covered ... Read more
(Known as Loveland Municipal Building)  The first Loveland school opened in 1878 behind a butcher shop on East Fourth Street. It relocated in 1880 to the basement of the Methodist Church. In 1881 the school moved again, this time to the tw... Read more
On Thanksgiving Day of 1875, the First United Presbyterian Church was organized by combining members of the United Brethren, Methodist, Baptist, and United Presbyterian churches. Originally, services were conducted by the Rev. William McCre... Read more
(Known as Lincoln Hotel)  When the First United Presbyterian Church (originally at this site) was razed, a consortium of Loveland businessmen planned a large commercial enterprise for this piece of prime real estate. Contractor W.J. McCord... Read more
Construction began in 1919 on the new $100,000 theater on East Fourth, which had evolved into downtown Loveland’s main street. William C. Vorreiter, President of the Bank of Loveland, built the theater, which opened in 1920. Dubbed “the... Read more
Built in 1910 on the site of the Johnson Livery Barn, this large commercial building was the home of the State Mercantile Company until May of 1920, when it was purchased by the Masons and utilized as their Masonic Temple, or meeting hall. ... Read more
(Known as A&B Building) Frank G. Bartholf was fifteen in 1861 when his family moved west to homestead. By 1879, he operated a business in St. Louis (a small local community considered the forerunner to the city of Loveland) but the town... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.