Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Number 319 N. Tioga Street is an example of late nineteenth-century eclectic design, using Colonial ornament in a fanciful Queen Anne manner. Note the Palladian, oval, and rectangular windows, paired columns and pilasters, and complex roofscape.
Number 317 N. Tigoa Street, in very good condition, is a Greek Revival house with Italianate details, probably built about 1865.
Numbers 313 and 315 N. Tioga Street are unusual twin houses dating from about 1875. They exhibit the typical L-shaped Italianate plan with a square tower. Number 313 has been restored to its original appearance, while 315 reflects unsympathetic changes.
Number 307 N. Tioga Street is a Federal residence in brick with stone trim. It was built in the 1810s for Peleg Cheesebrough, one of Ithaca's first tailors. It has the same stepped gables as 130 E. Court Street and the three-bay facade with side entrance as the Beebe-Halsey and Court Street houses. The house was once owned by Ezra Cornell's brother and sister-in-law, Elijah and Betsy Ann Cornell. In the 1920s it was an Ithaca College sorority house. More recent alterations include the installation of a large picture window in the front.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District