Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
Built in 1874, this is another fine example of a red brick Italianate style commercial block. The building is named for the large central clocktower, which rises above its three tall floors. The center of all four sides of the low hipped roof have segmental arched pediments. This feature is uncommon in neighboring towns but can be found all over in Flemington. Carved ornamental sandstone trim decorate the arched windows, the floral motif repeats in the tall brackets of the cornice.
Also known as the Rea building after George A. Rea and his son Runkle who founded the building and were watchmakers, hence the clock tower, before diversifying into other businesses and lending their name to the Reaville area. George A. Rea’s initials are still visible on the keystones around the bullseye window atop the front façade. Runkle Rea was an early president of the street commission and fire department.
This was the first home of the Flemington National Bank before becoming the Frank E Green drug store for many years. Later owners included Henry A Fluck, Jacob R West, John Shields and William Scheerer.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Flemington Historic Walking Tour - Main Street North