Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
Dating from 1870, this is an example of the Italianate style used for a public building. A bit plainer than the Italianate commercial blocks, the brick walls are flat, without pilasters, and the cornice has fewer elements. Nonetheless, this building still features the characteristic segmental arch and bullseye window in the center of its bracketed roof cornice. The central Palladian window is original, but the current first floor façade dates from 1928 when the original building was expanded, renovated and updated to combine the original three separate doorways into one main entrance. The new entrance is flanked by Corinthian pilasters, in a cut stone surround.
This building, along with the more recent extension in the rear, houses all the County’s valuable records including many historic documents such as maps, contracts, registrations, licenses, deeds and property records. A search room is open to the public.
On the sidewalk in front of the building are two stone pedestals, aligned to true north south. These were used by surveyors to calibrate their instruments.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Flemington Historic Walking Tour - Main Street North