Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
The section facing Main Street is perhaps the oldest building in Flemington, possibly dating from the 1760’s; it is an example of a very plain Federal style house. The two-story front face on Main Street is symmetrical, 5 bays wide is typified by the painted stone building, steeply pitched roof and double hung windows in symmetrical five ranked rows. The center section is not as old and has been restored to the Georgian Revival style.
Capnerhurst is named after the family which came to Flemington after the revolution from England. They shortened their name to Capner and established Long Range Farm nearby with fine livestock including Bakewell sheep which were renowned and sold to woolgrowers in nearly every state.
In the early 20th century, the building was used as Skinners “mom and pop” store with a gas pump and small garage. Threatened with demolition by the Borough in 1973 to create a parking lot, concerned local citizens rose to stop demolition. It was eventually auctioned and preserved by Theodore C Merritt, the new owner.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Flemington Historic Walking Tour - Main Street North