Created By: Flemington Historic Preservation Commission
This small low-pitched gabled two-story brick building with small windows is a local mystery. Some references date it to pre-revolutionary times although this seems unlikely, as bricks were likely not made locally or available until railroads to transport coal for fuel and finished bricks were available. Its history is unclear, with some sources suggesting it was used as a stable but this seems unlikely due to its small size and the two symmetrical rooms per floor, with fireplaces and winder stairs, suggesting it was intended for humans. It was most likely associated with the adjacent Maxwell law office building which no longer remains.
The likely original owner, William Maxwell, was a respected attorney on Main Street from 1808 to 1828 and was a nephew of General William Maxwell who served in the Revolutionary Wars and with Benedict Arnold at the Siege of Quebec in 1775 to 1776.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Flemington Historic Walking Tour - Main Street North