Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This residence reflects the transition from Federal to Greek Revival with the later addition of a Colonial Revival porch. The five-bay rectangular main body, gabled central pavilion, and two-story pilasters all date from the original ca. 1825 construction. The house was commissioned by Julius Ackley, a successful businessman, and possibly designed by Ira Tillotson, Ithaca's earliest architect of note. He was father-in-law to Julius's brother Henry, one of the three original owners of the Clinton House. In 1909, then-owner Daniel van Hoesen had architect Clinton L. Vivian add the front entrance porch in the Colonial Revival style. The gabled roof of the porch is supported by Doric columns.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District