Created By: Licking County Library
The Avalon apartment building was built by Alva Wilcox around the year 1900. It is one of the larger apartment structures in Newark’s downtown and often functioned as a mixed commercial and residential space with apartments above and offices at street level. The architectural style of the structure is late Second Empire, which was popular during the Victorian era. The Avalon was saved from demolition and renovated in 2004.
Image 1: Early photograph of the Avalon with the trolley car lines visible on Main Street.
Image 2: The Avalon stands in the background as the Nortwest Territories Parade passed by in 1938.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Newark Downtown Walking Tour