Historic Newark Downtown Walking Tour

Historic Newark Downtown Walking Tour

Newark, Ohio 43055, United States

Created By: Licking County Library

Tour Information

A self-guided tour of historic buildings and sites of downtown Newark, Ohio. See some of Newark's most significant commerical and civic buildings from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries on this stroll through the city center.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

The Avalon apartment building was built by Alva Wilcox around the year 1900. It is one of the larger apartment structures in Newark’s downtown and often functioned as a mixed commercial and residential space with apartments above and offi... Read more
This building at 88 West Church Street was the third location of the Newark Public Library, now known as the Licking County Library. The library opened at this location on August 9, 1950, and was used until the current library opened on Feb... Read more
This downtown landmark was originally built in 1903 with the label of “Union” determined through a public contest to provide the structure with a name.  The 22,000 square foot building opened with the Powers-Miller department store and... Read more
Long before shopping malls existed, the Arcade revolutionized the way people shopped for goods. Built in 1909, the Arcade once housed over 30 shops as well as apartments on the upper level. Newark’s Arcade was one of eight glass-ceilinged... Read more
The Hull Building, which is currently occupied by Chase Bank, was for years known as King’s Department Store. It was built around 1908-1910 by Eli Hull, whose mansion still stands on West Main St. near Neal Avenue. At least three fires ha... Read more
In 1914, Emmett Melvin Baugher of the Home Building Association Company commissioned famous architect Louis Sullivan to design and build this building, which was completed in 1915 as one of eight “Jewel Box Banks” designed by Sullivan. ... Read more
The Lansing Block was built in 1859 in the Victorian Italianate style by Charles Dougherty. The building, which now houses several businesses including Subway and 1922 on the Square (formerly Natoma), and McKenna’s Market, originally feat... Read more
Cornell Clothing has been in business on North Park Place since 1910. The building dates to before 1860 and was recently renovated in 2011 to reflect its original appearance. Having once been a three-story structure, the building now only c... Read more
The building at 32 North Park Place, where the law office of Schaller, Campbell, and Untied is located today, was the original site of Park National Bank. It opened in 1908 and was at this location until its 50th anniversary. In 1958 the ba... Read more
The original Midland Theater opened on December 20, 1928 as a 1000-seat theater. The theater featured movies, Vaudeville acts and live music for 50 years.  It once housed an organ that could raised and lowered for performances.  This stap... Read more
The Auditorium was located where the Licking County Foundation is today. The building was built in 1894 and was originally called the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Building. The theater hosted many famous acts, such as Harry Houdini, ... Read more
The corner of East Main and 2nd Streer, where Wendy’s stands today, has been host to many hotels, going back as far as 1802 when a log cabin on the property acted as an inn. The Buckingham House was built here in the 1850s and operated as... Read more
This is Licking County’s fourth courthouse. It was designed by architect  H. E. Myer of Cleveland and built between 1876-1878 after the third courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1875. A mile-long parade celebrated the laying of its corne... Read more
The Temperance Movement was a powerful force in the early twentieth century. As a result, a vote was made in 1909 to make Licking County “dry,” but many saloons in Newark boldly stayed open. After the sheriff and the mayor failed to res... Read more
This building is believed to have been the fourth jail in Newark. It was built in 1889 after the previous jail was condemned in 1887. Constructed out of Millersburg sandstone which has a natural pinkish hue. The Romanesque-style design of t... Read more
The First National Bank of Newark was founded in 1865 and was one of the first banks in Ohio to operate under the 1913 Federal Reserve Act. This building was erected in 1870 and features a corner entrance and striking stonework, including a... Read more
The location of the downtown loction of the Licking County Library has been the site of a variety of establishments over the years.  One building that once stood on the corner was Joe Bader Pool & Billiard Parlor. In addition to the po... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.