Bank of Newburgh Building

DeWitt Park Historic District

Bank of Newburgh Building

Ithaca, New York 14850, United States

Created By: Ithaca Heritage


Originally located at 113 W. State Street, where the State Theater now stands, this building was built ca. 1820 by local carpenter Luther Gere as both a residence and a bank. It housed Ithaca's first bank, a branch of the Bank of Newburgh, named after that Hudson River town. The land was purchased for 10 cents from Simeon DeWitt. The symmetrical five-bay facade with side-gabled roof is typically Federal, but the recessed doorway is a common Greek Revival feature, as is the front-facing central gable. In 1912, several concerned citizens rescued the building from being torn down and arranged for it to be moved--coincidentally, to a lot beside Captain Humphrey's house.


This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to