Created By: Farmingdale Public Library
The Long Island Railroad service reached Farmingdale on October 15, 1841 with diesel power. Two trains ran per day and one on Sundays. In 1850, the Long Island Railroad ceased Sunday service. In 1895, the Long Island Railroad proposed to move the Main line’s station a quarter of a mile east. The new depot began having trains arrive at it in May of 1896. In 1909, a tower was built to house the electric transformers for the Cross-Island Trolley. The trolley shut down in 1919. In 1987, the Long Island Railroad began using electrified trains to Farmingdale. The train station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 and the interior waiting room was renovated in 1996.
This point of interest is part of the tour: View of the Village