View of the Village

View of the Village

Farmingdale, New York 11735, United States

Created By: Farmingdale Public Library

Tour Information

Take a tour of parts of Farmingdale Village throughout history. Explore the rich history of Farmingdale Village by learning about the places that once existed and made Farmingdale the booming village that it is today.

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

According to the New York State Department of State, the Bell & Post Motors Corporation Certificate of Incorporation was filed with them on October 26, 1925. Bell & Post was named after Farmingdale native Harry Lowere Post  and Jam... Read more
Parkway Hotel was owned by Walter Webber and Gus Finger. They purchased the hotel in 1910 from Fred Kunz, who previously owned the location under the name Kunz Hotel. The hotel was built by Jarvis Lattin in the late 1880s. In 1937, the buil... Read more
The Long Island Railroad service reached Farmingdale on October 15, 1841 with diesel power. Two trains ran per day and one on Sundays. In 1850, the Long Island Railroad ceased Sunday service. In 1895, the Long Island Railroad proposed to m... Read more
This pickle works and sauerkraut factory were owned by the Keller family. It opened in 1891 by Jacob Keller. Jacob’s sons, Frederick and Charles Keller were also listed as proprietors for this business at different times during the busine... Read more
Opened in 1927 by Morris Karp and his son Leo. Morris Karp & Son bought fertilizer and then sold it to the local farmers. They also sold feed, grain, and hay. In the 1940s, they added to the building and began to manufacture fertilizer ... Read more
Built by Sidney Wright and then taken over by John Scholl who sold it to William Rathgeber Sr.  In addition to the hotel, there was The Amusement Palace. Farmingdale’s first moving picture was shown here. The Palace was home to boxing ma... Read more
Bethpage Lodge No. 975 purchased this building in 1921 after they were chartered on June 11, 1921. The building was erected in 1902 and was purchased by the Freemasons for $6,000. From 1942 to 1945, this lodge was one of two Masonic service... Read more
Norman Sullivan Insurance was opened by Norman Sullivan around 1917. He was one of the founders of the Sunrise Federal Savings & Loan Association. The office moved to 206 Main Street and then 280 Main Street in the mid-1960s.
The Noon Hotel was owned and operated by John H. Noon. The hotel was also known as the John H. Noon Hotel and was previously located in East Meadow. The building was built circa 1840 and was used first by Joseph Seligman. After Seligman’s... Read more
This garage was built in 1920. It was used as a garage by Al Ruhig and others, including David Dorfman until 1932. In 1932, the garage was taken over by Henry Pape. Henry Pape turned the garage into a plant & distribution station for He... Read more
Opened in the 1920s by Joseph Greco on Front Street, it moved to Main Street in the 1930s. The shop specialized in custom tailoring, dyeing, pressing, and cleaning. Mr. Greco hand-tailored the clothes. It closed in 1950 and moved to Wall St... Read more
The music hall was owned by Peter Ketcham. It was in the Deferrari Building. Members of the community would go to shows on the second floor and there was a reading room on the first floor. The fee for the reading room was two cents a week. ...
Opened by Frank and James Otten in 1906. It first began as a bicycle repair business, but it adapted to the increase of automobiles by repairing & selling cars and motorcycles. The store sold Farmingdale Village’s first Ford in 1910. ... Read more
The Ladder & Hose Company and Water Witch Engine Company merged in 1892 and moved to a combined location on Main Street, slightly south of its current location. In 1932, the department moved to its current location. The rescue squad was... Read more
The Town of Oyster Bay established local offices in larger hamlets in the late 1800s so residents would not have to make the trip to Oyster Bay. Farmingdale was one of these offices. The Village arranged to rent the office after its incorpo... Read more
In 1967, then Mayor Joseph Zureck and the Village Board completed plans to buy & develop a site to build the Village Green. The Village received a grant from the Federal Home & Finance agency, which provided half the money needed to... Read more
The Kolkebeck family had a house and barn on this property which were renovated for classroom use after the school district purchased the property. The Farmingdale Free Library was originally located in the Kolkebeck House. The Kolkebeck Ho... Read more
The original brick structure of the Main Street School was built in 1912. When Weldon Howitt arrived in 1919, he purchased the Kolkebeck property on behalf of the Farmingdale School District, which included three and a half acres of land to... Read more
The first post office for Farmingdale was established on July 31, 1845. John Monfort was appointed Postmaster by President James K. Polk.  The office was out of his house and it served approximately 30 families.  In 1927, the first house-... Read more
The theatre opened on January 30, 1942. It was designed by John Eberson, an internationally acclaimed architect in theatre planning. Sidney Jacobsen was the manager of the theatre. It had a loge that seated 135, where speaking was permitted... Read more
Charles Loehrs owned this general store for about 14 years until his death in 1921. Charles Loehrs sold a variety of items including hay, feed, grain, groceries, and hardware items. After Loehrs death, the store was taken over by Karp and K... Read more
Morris Karp purchased the store and adjoining home from Loehr family in 1921. The Loehrs were the proprietors of a general store. It was originally called Karp & Koplentz, but later named Karp’s General Store. In 1930, Morris sold the... Read more
The Bank was established in 1907. Adolph Bausch served as its first president until 1913. In addition to Adolph, some of the pioneers of the bank were James F. Michel, Harrison G. Nostrand, Charles Keller, Christopher Fuchs, William H. Trou... Read more
Originally in the Kolkebeck house and then the Main Street School, the library moved to 195 Main Street in 1952. It moved to the southwest corner of Main & Conklin Street in 1959 with Orrin Dow as the Director. A South Branch on Merritt... Read more
Mahlon E. Smith was a carpenter, contractor, and builder. He owned this shop from the 1920s through the early 1950s. Smith was a member of the Volunteer Exempt Firemen’s Benevolent Association. He was a volunteer firefighter for the Farmi... Read more
Henry & Clarissa Eagon received their real estate licenses from New York State in 1927. They were granted a New York State License as a real estate brokerage firm on November 1, 1929. They began being authorized fire insurance agents in... Read more
Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 was organized in 1886. The Hook & Ladder Co. had its first firehouse on the north side of Conklin Street. The Water Witch’s first house was on Rose Street, but the two joined together in 1892. In 1893, th... Read more
The Bank of Farmingdale was established in 1907. The bank was torn down in the 1920's so that Conklin Street could be widened.  In 1952, the Bank of Farmingdale merged with Franklin National Bank. In 1974, European American Bank purchased ... Read more
Purchased by Gus Oeding and Fred Wilkens in 1929, this shop was best known for its ice cream and confectionary. Fred Wilkens was the manager of the location, as well as owner. It was also known as Pop’s Ice Cream Parlor.
Moby Drugs was originally opened in Farmingdale in 1935 by Abner Mobegaht. In 1956, Sal Elbaum and David Budoff purchased the pharmacy. It was purchased in 1980 by current Mayor Ralph Ekstrand alongside Vincent Conte. They co-owned and oper... Read more
This was the original Methodist Church which was built in 1843, but was formerly known as the Farmingdale Methodist Episcopal Church. The land where this building was erected was donated by Ambrose George. It was a one-room church which cou... Read more
Schmidt's Hardware was opened at this location starting in 1915. This store was opened by Charles Otto Schmidt who took over the building from John Duryea, who previously owned a store at this location. It eventually moved to 208 Main Stre... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to