Firemen's Hall and Masonic Lodge

Albert Lea Historical Downtown Walking Tour

Firemen's Hall and Masonic Lodge

Albert Lea, Minnesota 56007, United States

Created By: Freeborn County Historical Museum


Firemen's Hall and Masonic Lodge, 147 North Broadway

Built in 1909-1910, this building housed the city's fire department on the ground level and the Masonic Temple on the upper floor. The rest of the building served at one time as the "Idle Hour Theatre" and was later used by various youth groups, health organizations, and clubs sponsoring public events.

The building was remodeled extensively in 1981 when it became home to the Albert Lea Community Theatre and was renamed The Marion Ross Performing Arts Center after Marion Ross of TV's "Happy Days" fame. Ross was a resident of Albert Lea until 19?? when she left to pursue her acting career.

This building was also used as an emergency hospital during a flu epidemic in 1920.

This Masonic Lodge is one of the oldest organizations in Freeborn County. In fact, it’s only a year younger than the county itself.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Albert Lea Historical Downtown Walking Tour


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to