Created By: Diane Lebo Wallace
Hammondsport was first settled in 1792; the village was incorporated in 1856. In addition to its scenic location at the foot of Keuka Lake, it is known for its contributions both to the New York State wine industry as well as to aviation.
The first grapes in the region were planted by Reverend Bostwick in 1829; the area's first winery, Pleasant Valley Wine Company, was founded in 1860. In 1958 Dr. Konstantin Frank, a Ukrainian Ph.D. and immigrant, began succesfully cultivating delicate viniefera grapes in the cold climate of the Finger Lakes, influencing many others to make fine European-style wines.
Hammondsport features a number of buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including the Pleasant Valley Wine Company complex, Germania Wine Cellars, Gold Seal Winnery, Hammondsport Union Free School, Malllory Mill, and Pulteney Square Historic District.
FLT Map M12
This point of interest is part of the tour: History along the Finger Lakes Trail