Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This early residence (building records indicate 1828, but the cornerstone shows 1825) is another variant of the Federal style. Note the delicate detailing in the fanlight over the door. The two-story portico with Ionic columns, however, reflects a transition in this period to Greek Revival. The Humphrey House was built by Ira Tillotson. Captain Charles Humphrey, who commissioned the house, came to Ithaca in 1819 to establish a Bank of Newburgh branch office. Also an attorney and politician, he served as president of the village of Ithaca in 1828 and 1829.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District