Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
It is believed that the house at 110 Oak St (next to Ye Olde Art Shoppe) was once the residence of John Hall, founder of Myrtle Creek. It was probably constructed in the 1870s. Photos from around that time show a house at Main and First believed to be this house. It was moved from it’s original location in 1947 because U.S. Bank wanted that location to build a new building.
Todd Hall, who farmed the land that is now Millsite Park with his father, John Hall, occupied this house at Main and First in late 1800s. Around the turn of the century, census records no longer list Todd Hall but show John & Florence Hall living in this house (John Hall’s wife Susannah passed away in 1895 & John Hall subsequently married Florence Hall , his brother’s widow) . At this time, census records show John’s daughter Emma Hall Buick and her husband were living in the family home on Main St. by grist mill.
This house is in considerable disrepair. Because of it’s association with the founder of Myrtle Creek, many are hopeful it can someday be acquired by a nonprofit agency and restored as a museum or Heritage Center.
STYLE OF ARCHITECTURE: Rural Gothic
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek