Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek

Self-guided walking tour highlighting historical points of interest in the downtown area between 1st and 3rd Avenues and Main and Division Streets

Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek

Myrtle Creek, Oregon 97457, United States

Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society

Tour Information

Myrtle Creek is located in southern Oregon along Interstate 5 and was named after the creek that flows through the valley and the Myrtle trees that grow abundantly in the area. In 1846 a survey party, led by Jesse Applegate and Levi Scott, searched for an easier and less hazardous route for pioneers headed to Oregon. The route they scouted became known as the Scott-Applegate Trail and part of it followed the South Umpqua River through the future site of Myrtle Creek.

Myrtle Creek is one of the earliest settlements in southern Oregon and is the site of the longest undisturbed remnant of the Scott-Applegate Trail, the first grist mill in southern Oregon, the shortest covered bridge, a landmark bridge designed by Conde B. McCullough, and a river known for gold panning and fishing.

Although there are historic sites outside of the Central Business District, this walkīng tour will focus on just the homes and commercial buildings located downtown between 1st and 3rd Avenue. Beginning at the public parking area by Millsite Park and the Elks Lodge, it should be an easy walk for the average person. Of course, there's no reason why you couldn't drive the route.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

1
Myrtle Creek Bridge

This concrete bridge over Myrtle Creek was built in 1930.  Originally the location had a simple wooden bridge, then a covered bridge, then a metal truss bridge.  The single-lane steel truss structure was in use from 1911 until It was re... Read more
2
Grist Mill

In thē early 1850s,  Lazarus Wright built the first grist mill in this part of the State.  The mill stones were sailed around the horn to Scottsburg and freighted to Myrtle Creek. The mill had a capacity of 45 barrels a day.   For year... Read more
3
John Hall house

James Weaver was original homestead claimant of the land that is now Myrtle Creek.  In the 1850s, he sold his Donation Land Claim to J. Bailey who then sold to Lazarus Wright, who built a grist mill adjacent to the creek. Wright later sold... Read more
4
Millsite Park

All of what is now Millsite Park was John Hall’s farmland until his death in 1922. In the 1940s and 1950s it was the site of Fir Manufacturing Company (FIRMCO) and Umpqua Plywood.   The sawmill and plywood plant occupied all the land f... Read more
5
Rio Theater

Many Myrtle Creek and local area residents remember going to the movies at the Rio Theater, which moved to this location on First Avenue after fire burned the old theater on Main Street. The new theater opened on Friday, January 9, 1953.  ... Read more
6
Post Office in 1950s

Although the exterior has since been covered over with a false front, the building at the corner of First and Oak was once a prime example of Art Moderne architecture.  The Hotel is another example of Art Moderne architecture.   This str... Read more
7
John Hall house #2

It is believed that the house at 110 Oak St (next to Ye Olde Art Shoppe) was once the residence of John Hall, founder of Myrtle Creek.  It was probably constructed in the 1870s.  Photos from around that time show a house at Main and First... Read more
8
Gabbert-Kramer house

The house at 230 First Ave was constructed for Ferd Gabbert around 1880-1890 ( it has since received some alterations and attachments).   The house with its distinctive gables is prominent in many old photos of town.   Ferd Gabbert w... Read more
9
Birch tree

Birch tree at 1st & Broadway reported to be planted the morning of Dec 7, 1941 by Ted Rice, who heard the news on the radio about the bombing of Pearl Harbor shortly after planting..
10
Remick Fate house

Looks like the current owner is doing some restoration of the Remick Fate house at 121 Hall St.  Remick Fate was born near Myrtle Creek in 1862.  He was the son of David & Mary Ward Fate, who settled first in Dixonville, then Days Cre... Read more
11
Redwood Tree

The large Redwood tree at Hall & 2nd is reported to have been planted by Remick Fate and is possibly over 100 years old.
12
Schiltz Building

On Second Ave north of the Redwood tree, we have the present Myrtle Creek Community Center.    This is known as the Schiltz Building and was location of the Myrtle Creek Mail for many years.  The Mail has been in continuous publication ... Read more
13
Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage

The current Methodist Church steeple has a slight lean to it. Circa 1938 the minister Jim Wilson fell a big black oak that stood beside the church. It hit the steeple and knocked it awry. They straightened it as best they could, but its sti... Read more
14
McGee house

At the corner of Second and Hall is the McGee house.  It is believed that a man named McGee had the house built circa 1900.  He was a blacksmith.  His son, Charles McGee, was also a blacksmith.  This house has been completely restored.... Read more
15
First Christian Church

In the 300 block of Second Ave is the First Christian Church.  The congregation was formed in 1855.  Between 1870 and 1890, services were held in the old school building which was located where City Hall is now.  The present church wa... Read more
16
Magnolia tree

The home of Mr & Mrs William B. Drake (built in the 1880s) was once located at 2nd and Pleasant (present location of Trueblood Real Estate).  Mr. Drake was Mayor and Town Marshal.  He was also a wagonmaker and a Union veteran who wa... Read more
17
Stephenson house

We’re told this was probably constructed in the 1890s for a family named Stephenson, who were retired farmers from Dole, but have been unable to verify.   We know that (possible relation) Clara Stephenson White (from Dole) lived at 134... Read more
18
Myrtle Creek City Hall & Police Department

The present location of City Hall on Pleasant St was the site of the first publicly funded school in the late 1800s.  It is thought that John Hall, the City's founder, possibly donated the land to build the school.  The first school was... Read more
19
Guy Bates House

The home at 306 3rd Ave was constructed around 1900.  It was originally a one story dwelling.  The second story was added in the 1930s.   The original wraparound porch was redesigned and replaced along with a number of other significant... Read more
20
Stanfield house

The original owners of the 1880s home at 234 Third Ave are not known.   We don’t really know why it is known as the “Stanfield house”.   The house has received many alterations, including enclosure of the upper porch, replacement... Read more
21
Simon Selig house

The house at 231 Third Ave is now known as the Painted Lady Bed & Breakfast.  It was originally built for Simon & Helen Selig, circa 1900.  This century old house is in excellent condition, however, it has received some alteration... Read more
22
Alexander Thompson house

The house at 206 Third Ave was constructed around 1900 for Alexander Thompson.  It is in excellent condition and has received few alterations in it’s 100 plus years.   Thompson was born in Canada in 1843.  He was a carpenter who w... Read more
23
Charles White house

The house at 134 Third Ave was constructed in the 1890s for Charles O. White.   White was born in New York in 1842.  The 1910 census shows that he owned his own real estate business.   White is also remembered as a ‘drummer’....a t... Read more
24
FORMER location of Dr B.F. Fallin’s house/office

Dr. B.F. Fallin was a familiar sight to many in Myrtle Creek area, visiting patients in his horse and buggy.  The Dr’s wooden medicine chest is on display at the Douglas County Museum. Dr Fallin traveled the Oregon trail and ended up i... Read more
25
Moore building

The building at 231 N. Main Street is known as the Moore building.  This storefront was constructed between 1910 and 1912. A portion of the year of construction is evident on the second story of the facade.  Since then, the first story ha... Read more
26
Hurst building

Built around 1920, the William Hurst storefront at 216 N. Main St was originally divided into 2 bays (stores).   Hurst built the storefront to house the Myrtle Creek Telephone Exchange office (which was originally located in the Moore bui... Read more
27
Weaver building

The Weaver building at 205 N.Main St is the largest brick building in town and was constructed for Ike and Cleo Weaver around 1910-1912 (about the same time as the Moore building).   Old photographs of the Weaver building show a very attr... Read more
28
Remick Fate storefront

Built around 1900 by Remick Fate, the storefront at 112 Second Avenue is one of two historic buildings in town constructed of brick. The original doors and entry wells have been altered and the original tall windows replaced with shorter, a... Read more
29
Citizens State Bank

The building at 139 N. Main is known as the “Citizens State Bank”, sometimes also  referred to as “Myrtle Drug”.  It was constructed in 1930 and exhibits elements of the Art Deco style popular in that era.  It was built to replac... Read more
30
Rice Brothers & Adams Building

The Rice Brothers & Adams building at 136 N. Main is the only commercial building in town that is on the National Historic Register.  This large building is the most noticeable building on Main St and takes up nearly half a block, the ... Read more
31
Myrtle Theatre

The building at 126 N. Main was originally the Myrtle Theatre.  It was constructed of cast-in-place concrete in 1917 for the Rice Brothers and Adams Company (adjacent to their mercantile business).  The building has received several alter... Read more
32
Shirtcliff garage

Henry Shirtcliff established a service garage at the corner of Main Street and First Avenue in 1921.  For nearly 50 years, Myrtle Creek was an important gasoline, motel and food stop along Pacific Highway (aka Highway 99),  the primary no... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.