Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
James Weaver was original homestead claimant of the land that is now Myrtle Creek. In the 1850s, he sold his Donation Land Claim to J. Bailey who then sold to Lazarus Wright, who built a grist mill adjacent to the creek. Wright later sold to John Hall. In 1868 Hall had the town site platted and subdivided and, therefore, is considered founder of Myrtle Creek. The Hall home was built around 1870 on Main St near the creek and grist mill. Despite efforts to save the 100 year old historic house, the Hall home was torn town in the 1970s to expand the Elk’s parking lot.
John Hall married Susannah Weaver, daughter of Hans Weaver and sister of Edwin Weaver. Susannah Weaver Hall fed and boarded many travellers in their house and also in the Overland Hotel, which was once located across the street (nearly filling entire block from creek to First Ave). John Hall and his family farmed the land now occupied by Millsite Park plus more land acrss creek to east.. Hall is considered the founder of the prune industry in this area. John Hall also served as Mayor and as County Commissioner, was charter member of Oddfellows and was a founder of Citizen State Bank.
Following the death of Susannah, John Hall married his brother's widow, Florence Hall, and moved to a house at First and Main, leaving this house on Main Street to his daughter, Emma Buick (wife of C.D. Buick). Emma lived in the Hall home with her sister Grace and others until her death in the 1950s. Emma’s daughter-in-law, Emma Smith Buick, continued to live there until her death around 1970. It was after that that the house was torn down.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek