Created By: Pulaski County Tourism Bureau & Visitors Center
This church, formerly the Waynesville Methodist Church, was built in 1945, however, the first Methodist Church building to be constructed on this site was completed in 1887. Organized before the Civil War, founder Wilson M. Tilley decided that the settlers in the area needed a church, and he rode out on horseback in search of a preacher. Services were held at the Tilley's farmhouse once a month by a Methodist circuit rider until interrupted by the Civil War and Mr. Tilley's death. Stories differ, but most agree that Mr. Tilley was hung by bushwhackers.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Waynesville Downtown Walking Tour