Waynesville Downtown Walking Tour

Historic sites in Waynesville, Missouri

Waynesville Downtown Walking Tour

Waynesville, Missouri 65583, United States

Created By: Pulaski County Tourism Bureau & Visitors Center

Tour Information

Program powered by Pulaski County Tourism Bureau

Waynesville is rich with history from the Trail of Tears, Civil War to historic Route 66! Park the car and spend some time in Waynesville! Enhance this downtown walking tour with our brochure. Download it now or pick a copy up at the Pulaski County Visitors Center. 137 St Robert Blvd. Saint Robert MO.


Tour Map

Loading Tour

 

What You'll See on the Tour

FORMER HAYES CREAMEE, HISTORIC ROUTE 66 & HIGHWAY 17: In the late 1950s Dallas and Harold Wells opened a laundry pick-up/drop-off site in a small frame building at this junction. During the early 1960s the building became Hayes Creamee ... Read more
GEORGE M. REED BUILDING, EAST OF 407 HISTORIC ROUTE 66: One door west of 407 Historic Route 66, hidden behind a false front and awning, is the two-story concrete block building constructed in 1911 by (at-the-time) Waynesville postmaster Geo... Read more
OLD STAGECOACH STOP, 106 N. LYNN ST: The original log building was built by William Walton McDonald in the mid-1850s. The original structure was two log cabins connected by an open “dogtrot.” One cabin was used as a residence and the ot... Read more
SECURITY BANK OF PULASKI COUNTY, 110 LYNN ST: After the old Waynesville State Bank went into voluntary liquidation, Waynesville Security Bank opened for business February 1, 1936. In August 1957 Waynesville Security Bank contracted to purch... Read more
Talbot House was built in 1885 by Reverend Albert Washington Davis, a pastor of Waynesville Methodist Church.  He died in 1888, three years after building the house, at the age of 26.  His widow turned the house into a hotel that become k... Read more
This church, formerly the Waynesville Methodist Church, was built in 1945, however, the first Methodist Church building to be constructed on this site was completed in 1887.  Organized before the Civil War, founder Wilson M. Tilley, decide... Read more
Nichols Apartments occupy a portion of the former Waynesville USO club, built in 1942.  The USO was a way for local communities to participate in the war effort during World War II, and the Fort Leonard Wood area was no exception.  As the... Read more
In 1886, a two story frame building of two rooms was built at this location to house the Waynesville School.  in 1936-37, a brick building was erected by the federal Public Works Administration to replace the frame building.  When Fort Le... Read more
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 202 N. BENTON ST  Baptist churches were also among the earliest to be established in the Waynesville area.  The First Baptist Church was organized in 1880, and the first church building, a log structure, was located ... Read more
FORMER BAKER HOTEL, BENTON & NORTH ST: Originally a stick-built structure constructed before 1907 by blacksmith, liveryman, and mail carrier, Lee Baker. The structure was rebuilt and enlarged to 26 bedrooms after a fire circa 1914. Duri... Read more
Roubidoux Creek is naed for the faily of French traders prominent in the early settlement of Missouri.  Around 1831, George Washington Gibson becae the first "squatter" on the site of present day Wayesville; he settled on land near the big... Read more
201 NORTH ST: Most likely constructed between 1941-1943, this building originally served as Waynesville City Hall & Fire Department. The tower-like structure atop the building housed a siren that sounded when there was a fire to alert f... Read more
ROUBIDOUX FORD & FORMER BRIDGE, W. NORTH ST: This site was the location where early pioneers and settlers crossed, or forded, the Roubidoux before the steel bridge was constructed in 1911. Steel for the bridge was shipped by rail to Cro... Read more
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
ROUBIDOUX SPRING CHEROKEE CAMPSITE, LAUGHLIN PARK, SPRING RD: Long before Waynesville was platted, Joseph Roubidoux II, a French fur trapper and trader from New Orleans, built a camp cabin near this spring that is now named for him. Many ye... Read more
This was the site of the Cherokee encampment on the Trail of Tears.  You may want to visit our other tours, Trail of Tears Memorial and Intrepretive Trail which was a partnered project with the National Park Service.  Within that tour you... Read more
ROUBIDOUX BRIDGE, HISTORIC ROUTE 66: This concrete arch bridge was built in 1923 as part of a State Highway 14 road improvement project. The bridge was designed by Missouri State Highway Commission and was built by Koss Construction Company... Read more
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Russell and Mildred Dial purchase Clark Motel in 1960, moving to Waynesville in 1961 to operate the motel until the property was sold to the Pulaski County Library in 2001.  The home to the left was the office and the Dial's residence. ...
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
BO PEEP CERAMICS, 106 HISTORIC ROUTE 66: The grand opening of Waynesville’s new Greyhound Bus Terminal was held July 11, 1963. The station included Traveler’s Restaurant, Phil’s Clothing & Jewelry, and room for another store. Vent... Read more
Route 66 Mural located at Odyssey Scuba and Eclectic Originals. Mural depicts the beautiful roaring Roubidoux Creek, Bridge and Historic Route 66.   The Why and How as told by Scuba Bob of Odyssey Scuba We purposefully did it in a fashion ... Read more
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
FORMER BANK OF WAYNESVILLE, 100 S. BENTON ST: Constructed in 1904 on land purchased from attorney Joe McGregor. The bank was housed in the lower level and the second story was divided into offices. George M. Reed’s abstract business was o... Read more
This historic marker tells the story of this site.  In 1861 the Confederate flag lew above the courthouse, but in June of 1862, the Union's Thirteenth, Missour State Militia marched into town, under the command of Colonel Albert Sigel.  T... Read more
LONE OAK PRINTING, 300 HISTORIC ROUTE 66: This concrete block building was completed in 1906 by Waynesville grocer Joseph Martin Long. The first floor housed Long’s store and the post office while the second story contained the opera hous... Read more
In the early days of Waynesville the stretch going through town was named Commercial Street, and was noted for the ditch, said to be deep enough to hide a horse and rider, that ran down the middle of it.  Under pressure from the "good road... Read more
FORMER DOOLIN’S BLACKSMITH SHOP, HISTORIC ROUTE 66 & LYNN ST: Now a parking lot, this location once was home to Doolin’s blacksmith shop. In September 1911 John Doolin drove ten pounds of horseshoe nails. His brother, Cliff Doolin, ... Read more
FORMER TUTS CAFÉ NO. 1, 305 NORTH ST: During August 1943 “chef deluxe” Nelson “Tut” Royalty opened Tuts Café in the eastern half of this building, then known as the Brisch Building.  In 1948 Royalty moved to Columbia, Missouri to... Read more
This courthouse was built in 1987 giving room for the much need growth of Pulaski County.  Step inside to see the wall display.
World War I cannon made its return as a fixture on the square in December 2010.  Many years ago the cannon was removed by a group of local boys as part of a Halloween prank and was struck by an automobile and damaged.  Luther Thomas, a pr... Read more
RIGSBY HOUSE, 103 N. BENTON ST: Claude & Evalina Rigsby bought this house, which stands on lots 6 and 7 in block 4 of the original town of Waynesville, in 1924. The foundation is made of rough-hewn logs and was constructed in the 1870s ... Read more
RIGSBY BUILDING, 229 HISTORIC ROUTE 66: This building was constructed in 1951 by Claude Rigsby. It replaced a frame building that had been built in 1941 to house his wife’s (Evalina) beauty parlor. The new brick building’s first story h... Read more
ROUBIDOUX PLAZA, 115 N. BENTON ST: The plaza’s footprint occupies two former storefronts. The southern half was once home to Dodd’s General Store building while the northern half housed Waynesville’s first movie theater. The Wayne The... Read more
Bloodland was once a thriving community situated in the middle of the area selected by the Department of the Army to build Fort Leonard Wood.  In 1941 there were three general stores, three filling stations, two churches, two barber shops,... Read more
TALBOT BUILDING, 107 N. BENTON ST: This building was constructed in 1941 for Dr. Charles Talbot and was completed in September. Talbot operated City Drug Store on the lower level while Dr. Clyde Miller tended to patients on the second level... Read more
FORMER PUBLIC HEALTH CENTER, PUBLIC SQUARE, NORTHWEST CORNER: Public health was a challenge in Waynesville in the 1940s. The small village was unequipped to handle the massive population boom that Fort Leonard Wood brought to the area. This... Read more
1903 COURTHOUSE, PUBLIC SQUARE: This, Pulaski County’s fourth courthouse, was built after a fire destroyed the previous courthouse in 1902. This courthouse was designed by Henry H. Hohenschild, Missouri’s State architect at the time. Br... Read more
On the evening of June 3, 1903 a lighting strike hit the Pulaski County Courthouse.  The ensuing fire destroyed the building. By his quick thinking the County Clerk, Edward G. Williams, was able to rescue many of the county documents and r... Read more

 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.