Created By: Farmingdale Public Library
The original brick structure of the Main Street School was built in 1912. When Weldon Howitt arrived in 1919, he purchased the Kolkebeck property on behalf of the Farmingdale School District, which included three and a half acres of land to expand the school and its property. The land included a house and barn, which were remodeled into classrooms. In 1922, a middle building was added to the original brick structure. A third portion, the north building, was added in 1929 to meet the need for more space again. By 1950, the school was crowded yet again. Corridors were used as classrooms and some classes were being held outside. The south wing was torn down in 1961 and by 1972, classes were not being held there. The whole building was torn down in 1980.
This point of interest is part of the tour: View of the Village