Created By: Riverview Memory Gardens
Mark Center Post Office was built in 1875 and served as a fourth class post office run by Mrs. Marietta Kyle as its post mistress. The building was moved to the Village in November 1974. A meeting with the Defiance County Commissioners in January 1980 resulted in a major restoration effort. County funds paid for some materials. Volunteer workers came from Green Thumb or CETA as well as the local area. Maurice Smith, a retiree from the U.S. Postal Service, was scheduled as postmaster and helped make Commemorative Envelopes and First Day Covers available. Any letter could be mailed and received an AuGlaize postmark on that commemorative Sunday in 1980. U.S. Post Office retiree Herb Delventhal currently volunteers his time to keep the post office tidy.
Ordis and Phyllis Hahn operated a toy shop in the back half of the building for several years.
This point of interest is part of the tour: AuGlaize Village Tour