AuGlaize Village Tour

Try to See the Whole Village in a Day!

AuGlaize Village Tour

Defiance, Ohio 43512, United States

Created By: Riverview Memory Gardens

Tour Information

This tour takes the visitor through the entire AuGlaize Village for a fast walk through the entire facility! For a more detailed tour, check out one of the seven specialty tours we are developing for 2018.

AuGlaize Village was the dream of Defiance County Historical Society members and came to fruition in 1966. The Society had opened a small museum in a home on Fort St. accross from the Defiance Public Library just after WWII. As their collection grew, they began to expand their vision. Through a massive community effort and the generous donation of a barn and land from the Mansfield family, AuGlaize Village was born. The property is now owned by the Defiance County Commissioners and operated by the Defiance County Historical Society and its volunteers. There are no paid staff. For more information or membership opportunities, please visit our website at

Tour Map

Loading Tour


What You'll See on the Tour

Welcome to AuGlaize Village, an Ohio Pioneer History Museum operated by the volunteers of Defiance County Historical Society.  We are working to develop six more specialized tours which should be done by May 2018. Specialty tours planned a... Read more
In 1974, Defiance Rotary Club broke ground for an administrative building at AuGlaize Village.  That same year, negotiations began with the Defiance County Commissioners to take title of the farm and village. This was to be a permanent est... Read more
The Sherry One-Room Schoolhouse was originally located about a mile south of the present Village on Krouse Road.  It was moved and restored at the Village in 1971 by a grant from the McIntyre Family of Monroe, MI.  Mrs. Idalou Blue donate... Read more
St. John's Lutheran Church of rural Sherwood was originally constructed in 1875 and moved to the Village in 1966.  It is currently called Chape of the Crosses.  The family of Sophia Boehm donated a pump organ which can still be played.  ... Read more
A pioneer cemetery was dedicated when remains were found and excavated at the First Presbyterian Church on the AuGlaize River in Defiance and reburied here.  The Highland Presbyterian Church Bell Tower is all that remains of that burnt str... Read more
In 1967, the Jewell Depot/Railroad Station was moved to the Village. The depot had been built in 1856 by the Toledo Wabash & Western Railroad.  It included a ticket master's office and had a freight room added in 1904.  The depot hous... Read more
Mark Center Post Office was built in 1875 and served as a fourth class post office run by Mrs. Marietta Kyle as its post mistress.  The building was moved to the Village in November 1974.  A meeting with the Defiance County Commissioners ... Read more
E.A. Minsel of Jewell, Ohio donated the barber shop in 1966.  It had been owned and operated by Ezra Wilson Warren from Leipsic between 1908 and 1940.  Barber shops served as a central gathering place in the community where men could read... Read more
The Doctor's Office dates prior to 1884.  Dr. Robert Cameron began his practice there in 1915.  The inside consists of a waiting room and an inner room where the doctor saw patients.  There are many medical insturments used at that time ... Read more
The Jacob Myers General Store was built on site and opened in the spring of 1969.  Jacob Myers was a pioneer storekeeper from the Defiance area.  The general store was usually the first business established in a community and, like the ba... Read more
A footer and foundation were poured for the Blacksmith Shop in May 1974.  It contains tools and equipment from several different area shops.  A rotary hammer is from Hicksville, a hand drill press from Napoleon, a bellow-aired forge from ... Read more
The Ayersville Telephone Exchange is made of native timbers.  The structure houses a turn of the century switchboard and displays other telephone and communication devices.
In 1966, Paul Myers donated a sorghum mill for the Village.  He installed and operated the mill to demonstrate this important pioneer industry.  Sugar cane (which resembles corn stalks) is squeezed between two large rollers.  Bitterswee... Read more
AuGlaize Village's ground and turn of the century livestock barn were donated to the Defiance County Historical Society by Mrs. Charles Mansfield in memory of her late husband.   A Street of Shops was develped in the barn.In December 1971,... Read more
The Corliss Steam Engine and Linde-Wolfe Compressor are from the old Diehl Brewery Plant in downtown Defiance.  The family of Irel E Ashbaugh, a Diehl, Inc Engineer, donated the builiding in his memory in 1972 to house the machinery.  Thi... Read more
Our first Farm Museum was constructed on the site in 1967 and was our first permanent building outside of the Mansfield Barn.  It houses many of the items Justin Coressel donated from his collection.  Featured are a series of exhibits inc... Read more
Formerly located in Ft. Wayne, IN, this extensive H.O. scale model train collection was acquired by the Defiance County Historical Society in March 1984.  The collection was a longtime project of Les Green.  At the time of his death, Les'... Read more
Farm 2 houses large farm machinery pieces including tillage tools, wagons, a clover hauler and a grain separator.  
Farm 3 holds John Harper's collection of steam traction engines including: an 1885 Rumely, a 1917 Port Huron 65 H.P., a 1917 - 18 Horse Buffalo Pitts  a 1923 - 65 H.P. Case.
The Fire Station was a many year vision of the Village Volunteers and Tuesday Crew.  Finished in 2017, it was built to house the Village's Fire Pumper.  In the same year, volunteer Jim Rath of Hicksville, OH donated his 1942 fire truck. ... Read more
The Threshing Field is the sight for tractor pulls, threshing demonstrations and other field events.
The Kieffer Home was donated by the Kieffer family of McClure, OH in 1972.  Each part was numbered, disassembled and rebuilt by the Explorer Post 212, the AuGlaize Militia and members of the Society.  The structure is representative of an... Read more
This 1838 structure was originally located in the heart of Defiance on the Miami- Erie Canal, but was later moved to Jackson Street, just south of the Chief Supermarket, at that canal lock.  The lock-keeper and his family lived in the hom... Read more
The Kinner two-story comes from west of Ayersville at the intersection of Pleasent Bend and           .  It was donated by Ralph Kinner, who's father Jacob Kinner grew up in the home.  In fact, the family lived in the home with a kit... Read more
Before refrigeration, smokehouses were built and used to preserve meat.  The meat was marinated in a salt brine for several days, then smoked for preservation.  When available, specialties featured were beef jerky and smoked bacon.  ...
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
Sorry, there wasn't any information provided for this point of interest.
The Hale Logging Shanty dates from the late 1800's when timber was still a booming industry in Northwest Ohio.  The Hale family would pull this shanty out into the woods in the winter months and spend their day felling trees and sleeping i... Read more
It drained the Black Swamp!  The invention of a Tiling Machine sped up the process of draining the swamp.  This machine trenched clay tiles into the fields replacing earlier, more labor intensive methods.  See more about tiling and drain... Read more
The Charles Slocum Natural Science Building is one of two buildings moved from the campus of Defiance College in 1971.  It was originally built as a barracks for the Civilian Conservation Corps and later for German WWII prisoners of war. ... Read more
The Military Building is one of the two buildings moved from the Defiance College Campus.  These buildings were constructed in the 1930's as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project and used as barracks for its workers.  They were late... Read more


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to