Historic Montour Falls with its spectacular Chequaga Falls in the heart of downtown is home to seven natural glens and more than 20 waterfalls. It features multiple nearby points of interest:
- Montour Falls Historic District: Officially placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, the "Glorious T" District is comprised of 24 buildings and one significant waterfall. West Main Street forms the stem of the "T", and Genesee Street, running North to South, forms the crossbar of the "T".
- Chemung Canal: site of the first lock of 51 along the canal that linked the area to the Erie Canal from 1833 until its closing in 1878
- Brick Tavern Museum: The oldest brick structure in Schuyler County built in 1828 It was built as a tavern on the stagecoach route and has also been a boarding house and a residence. Today it is the hoe of the Schuyler County Historical Society Museum.
- The Wickham Rural Life Center adjacent to the museum building focuses on the agricultural and pre-electric home life of the county.
- The Lee School Museum was acquired from the local school district in 1960. It is an 1884 wooden, one-room school, furnished as it was in the early 20th Century. The Lee School is located on Route 14, just south of Montour Falls. It is open for special annual events and by appointment.
- The Lawrence Chapel, a Gothic-inpsired chapel built in 1880.
View more info at the Schuyler County Historical Society
View a short video on the history of Montour Falls
FLT Map M14