Old Court House

DeWitt Park Historic District

Old Court House

Ithaca, New York 14850, United States

Created By: Ithaca Heritage


In 1817, Simeon DeWitt donated this land for a county courthouse. The current structure, the second on the site, was built in 1854. Union Springs architect John F. Maurice designed it in the Gothic Revival style, popular then for domestic and religious buildings. Gothic features include the asymmetrical facade, a tall parapeted tower on one side, a shorter hexagonal turret on the other, and pointed-arch windows with tracery and molded crowns. The courthouse, thought to be the oldest Gothic Revival public building in New York State, served as the county seat for 80 years, until the present courthouse was built in 1932. After a heated battle to halt demolition, extensive renovations were made in 1975-76, and the second-story courtroom was returned to its original use.


This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.