Created By: Diane Lebo Wallace
Portageville is named after the Native American canoeists who withdrew their crafts from the water to avoid going over three waterfalls in the Genesee River gorge now known as Portage Falls. They transported their canoes on land for several miles to the site of Mount Morris before traveling again on the river.
The Genesee River Gorge has been called the Grand Canyon of the East and is known today as Letchworth State Park.
The First Universalist Church of Portageville, erected in 1841, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
FLT Map M6
This point of interest is part of the tour: History along the Finger Lakes Trail